Georg Feuerstein has left the body August 25

  • Swami Jnaneshvara
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2012
      Though we may have a deep understanding of atman, brahman, and the nondual nature of Reality, still there are moments that are like a kick in the solar plexus that leaves a doubling over effect. One such event happened for me last night [August 25] when Georg Feuerstein left his mortal body. I am very grateful to his wife, Brenda Feuerstein, who has kept me up to date during these past few days, and has most lovingly passed messages to Georg for me during this time of transition. I am very fortunate to be able to call Georg "friend" over recent years. I have admired and come to love him greatly, and deeply appreciate his reciprocal admiration and love for me.

      If you do not know, Georg is/was one of the leading scholars in the West, if not the world, on authentic, traditional yoga. He is/was not only a scholar, but a most dedicated practitioner. One of my favorite comments of Georg was in 2003 in an interview with Yoga Journal magazine. He was asked, "How would you describe Yoga in the US today?" Georg responded, "It's a mess. And you can quote me on that. Anything that comes to America or the West in general, immediately gets individualized and commercialized. There has always been great diversity in traditional Yoga, and this diversity was based on the experience of masters. Today even beginning teachers feel qualified to innovate and create their own trademarked Yoga system. So, looking at the Yoga movement today, part of me feels very saddened by it, but then I also see that it contains the seeds of something better. Also, amazingly, Yoga can be beneficial even when it is reduced down to posture practice. But people shortchange themselves when they strip Yoga of its spiritual side." In the spirit of playfulness, I wrote to him and asked, "Georg, why are you holding back; why don't you tell us what you really think?" A few years ago Georg moved to Canada, in part due to the ever declining situation with yoga in the America.

      Like great musicians and artists, I suspect that now that Georg has left the body, his work will be increasingly seen for its great depth and insight. If you are not familiar with this, I suggest you purchase two books to get started: "The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice" and "The Deeper Dimension of Yoga: Theory and Practice".

      The world of yoga will miss Georg, but not his gifts. Please join with me in honoring his life, love, and work through some moments of silent meditation.

      Lovingly,

      A friend of Georg Feuerstein,

      Swami Jnaneshvara