Abhyasa Ashram Activities update - August 25, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2010
      Abhyasa Ashram Newsletter:
      Local activities, online meetings, retreats, other programs
      Update: August 25, 2010

      *****************

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      ACTIVITIES PAGE: https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/
      MEETUP.COM CALENDAR: http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/calendar/
      SWAMIJ.COM CALENDAR: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm
      (These calendars are gradually being integrated into one another.)

      **********************************
      ASHRAM NEWS
      **********************************
      We have closed on the purchase of a 4500 square foot building as home for the ashram (Abhyasa Ashram, Inc). It is in Fort Walton Beach just off Mary Esther Boulevard (behind KFC, Chili's restaurant, and the tune up shop). Address is: 505 Hooper Drive, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548.

      We had a wonderful "soft opening" (contrasted with "grand opening"), inauguration, commencement celebration on Saturday, August 21, 10:00am-2:00pm to show everybody the new ashram home and what improvements are being planned for the building. It was a joy to have 30-35 people visit, including over 20 who were there for the 11:30am meditation. Thank you to all who are coming to make the ashram a home away from home.

      MEMBERSHIP: We have three levels of involvement in the ashram, which are described here:
      http://swamij.com/abhyasa-ashram.htm#membership

      **********************************
      LOCAL ASHRAM ACTIVITIES
      (All times CST/CDST US)
      **********************************
      DAILY Silent Meditation (30 minutes): 11:30am and 6:00pm
      (If you are in another city, state or country, please join us from your home if you are free to do so at these times.) Morning meditations will generally be continued at the townhouse. Evening meditations are now held at the new ashram location. When I am traveling the meditation room will generally be opened by Kathleen Gibson. She will also facilitate satsangs such as Bhagavad Gita, Wednesday Noon, first Friday and third Saturday.

      **********************************
      MORNINGS and EVENING MEDITATION TIMES
      **********************************

      MORNING: The morning meditations (11:30-12:00) will generally continue at the townhouse for a while. Exception is Wednesday, when we will meet at the ashram and then have the 12:00 curriculum review.

      AFTERNOON/EVENING: Afternoon and evening meditations (6:00-6:30), hatha and pranayama/breathing classes, and other later programs are at the new ashram at 505 Hooper Dr., Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548.

      **********************************
      HATHA YOGA / PRANAYAMA/BREATHING TIMES
      **********************************

      FIRST WEDNESDAY (Next September 1): June Enfinger will lead hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing classes on the first Wednesday of each month at 10:30am - 11:30am, followed immediately by 11:30am meditation. Curriculum review is at 12:00pm - 2:00pm.

      FIRST FRIDAY, 5:00pm - 6:00pm: Tripurashakti will lead hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing classes, followed immediately by 6:00pm meditation. Tri will lead the class through September 24, after which she will travel to Holland and India. She will resume this class when she returns to Florida end of December 2010.

      OTHER FRIDAYs: Every Friday (other than first Friday), 5:00pm - 6:00pm: Tripurashakti will lead hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing classes, followed immediately by 6:00pm meditation. Tri will lead the class through September 24, after which she will travel to Holland and India. She will resume this class when she returns to Florida end of December 2010.

      EVERY SATURDAY: Every Saturday, 10:30am - 11:30am: Tripurashakti will lead hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing classes, followed immediately by 11:30am meditation. Tri will lead the class through September 25, after which she will travel to Holland and India. She will resume this class when she returns to Florida end of December 2010.

      OTHER DAYS: On other days there are self-directed hatha yoga, pranayama/breathing from 5:30pm - 6:00pm, followed by group silent meditation at 6:00pm - 6:30pm.

      MORE TO COME: Other hatha teachers have volunteered to teach and will soon be scheduled on a regular basis. I sincerely appreciate each of these teachers for their service: Tripurashakti, June Enfinger, Carolyn Reynolds, Kathy Tabb, and Stephanie Penhollow.

      **********************************
      GROUP PROGRAMS
      **********************************

      WED, AUG 25, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the new ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time are also at the new ashram)

      FRI, AUG 27, 5:00pm: Tripurashakti: Hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing, followed immediately by silent group meditation at 6:00pm.
      FRI, AUG 27, 7:00pm: Drumming and Music (bring any instruments) (at the new ashram)
      SAT, AUG 28, 10:30am-11:30: Tripurashakti: Hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing, followed immediately by silent group meditation at 11:30am.

      MON, AUG 30, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 1, 10:30-11:30am: June Enfinger, hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing, immediately followed by silent meditation at 11:30am (June teaches every first Wednesday at this time).
      WED, SEP 1, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the new ashram; 11:30 meditation and practice time are at the new ashram)
      FRI, SEP 3, 5:00pm: Carolyn Reynolds: Hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing, followed immediately by silent group meditation at 6:00pm.
      FRI, SEP 3, 6:30pm: Food/snacks followed by First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion

      MON, SEP 6, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 8, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the new ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time are at the new ashram)
      FRI, SEP 10, 5:00pm: Tripurashakti: Hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing, followed immediately by silent group meditation at 6:00pm.
      FRI, SEP 10, 7:00pm, Mantra Mela (at the new ashram)

      MON, SEP 13, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 15, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the new ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time are at the new ashram)
      FRI, SEP 17, 5:00pm: Tripurashakti: Hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing, followed immediately by silent group meditation at 6:00pm.
      SAT, SEP 18, 6:30pm Vegetarian Pot luck (at the new ashram)
      SAT, SEP 18, 7:00pm Movie ("Inner Peace in a Troubled World") and popcorn (at the new ashram)

      MON, SEP 20, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 22, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the new ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time are at the new ashram)
      FRI, SEP 24, 5:00pm: Tripurashakti: Hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing, followed immediately by silent group meditation at 6:00pm.
      FRI, SEP 24, 7:00pm, Drumming and Music (bring any instruments) (at the new ashram)

      MON, SEP 27, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 29, 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Curriculum review gathering (at the 505 Hooper ashram; 11:30 meditation and 11:00 practice time are at the 505 Hooper ashram)
      FRI, OCT 1, 7:00pm, First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion (at the new ashram)

      MON, OCT 4, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita (at the 505 Hooper ashram), followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, OCT 6, 10:30am: June Enfinger, hatha yoga and pranayama/breathing, immediately followed by silent meditation at 11:30am.

      FEBRUARY in Florida (February 2011):
      Daily discussions and meditations
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/feb-in-florida.htm

      OCT 30, 2010: Overnight meditation retreat at Ramada on Okaloosa Island. Details will be announced in the newsletter.

      **********************************
      ONLINE DISCUSSION / SATSANG
      **********************************
      Times are CST/CDST US
      WED, 9:00pm, Swami Rama book reviews
      SAT, 8:30am, Satsang and Discussion
      SAT, 9:00pm, Readings Satsang and Discussion
      SUN, 9:00pm, Bhagavad Gita Discussion
      EXCEPTIONS: When Swami Jnaneshvara is traveling, then either Kathleen or Tripurashakti will open the meetings.

      SCHEDULE and DETAILS: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      (This page is also linked on the home page of SwamiJ.com)

      We are exploring alternatives of service providers for the online meetings. Please see the link above for the latest info.

      **********************************
      RETREATS IN INDIA:
      **********************************
      November 2010
      March 2011
      November 2011
      Details are on the website:
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/rishikesh-retreat.htm

      **********************************
      OTHER PROGRAMS (Details TBA)
      **********************************
      August/September 2010: Pittsburgh. Dates will be posted soon.
      September 16-20, 2010: New York City (Write to me for contact information of the people in New York who are sponsoring the visit, or directly contact one of the circle of people in New York if you are connected with the satsang group there.)
      October 1-3, 2010: East Aurora, New York (Write to me and I'll pass on contact information for the sponsor of the visit.)
      October 12-24, 2010: Santiago, Chile
      November 2010: Rishikesh, India
      April 2011: Sydney Australia (and possibly Bali), sponsored by:
      http://www.yogacoach.com/

      **********************************
      CENTER FOR NONDUALISM
      **********************************
      A Community for Nondual Religion, Yoga, and Philosophy
      Providing a "Sunday Alternative" for the Emerald Coast
      Every Sunday at:
      Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547

      *****************

      SUNDAY Program:
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship
      WEBSITE:
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/
      NEWSLETTER:

      *****************

      SWAMI JNANESHVARA upcoming Center participation:

      AUG 29, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      SEP 12, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      SEP 26, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      OCT 10, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      OCT 31, 11:00: Speaker for main program

      *****************

      4th ANNUAL CONFERENCE and RETREAT:
      Joyously Living Nondualism
      February 17-20, 2011
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/

      **********************************

      ARTICLES:

      Seven Skills to Cultivate for Yoga Meditation
      http://swamij.com/sevenskills.htm

      there is a vast difference between a skill and the methods or techniques that were used to attain that skill. Think of the way an infant does many actions in those early months and years. The child may be playing with this or that toy, or exploring the new environment of this new world. Yet, all of the play and exploring leads to development of a few underlying skills, such as the motor skills of being able to hold an object in the hand, or to move the legs so as to go from here to there.

      *****************

      REFLECTIONS:

      We do not believe in conversion, changing cultural habits, or introducing any God in particular. We respect all religions equally, loving all and excluding none. Neither do we oppose any temple, mosque, or church, nor do we believe in building homes for God while ignoring human beings. Our firm belief is that every human being is a living institution or a temple. (Swami Rama on the tradition of the Himalayan masters)

      PODCASTS:
      Archive of audio podcasts:
      http://www.swamij.com/podcast.htm

      YOUTUBE:
      Archives of my videos on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/yogabindu
      http://www.youtube.com/swamijb
      Someone has also anonymously put 126 short videos of Swami Rama's lectures on
      internet:
      http://www.youtube.com/swamiramahimalayas

      CONNECTIONS
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/swamij
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/swamij
      Meetup.com: http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/
      Email and postal contact: http://www.swamij.com/contact.htm

      ACTIVITIES PAGE: https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/
      MEETUP.COM CALENDAR: http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/calendar/
      SWAMIJ.COM CALENDAR: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm
      (These calendars are gradually being integrated into one another.)

      NEWSLETTERS: