Abhyasa Ashram Activities update - August 14, 2010

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2010
      Abhyasa Ashram Newsletter:
      Local activities, online meetings, retreats, other programs
      Update: August 14, 2010

      *****************

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      CALENDAR: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm

      **********************************
      ASHRAM NEWS
      **********************************
      We remain under contract for the purchase of a 4500 square foot building as home for the ashram (Abhyasa Ashram, Inc). It is in Fort Walton Beach just off Mary Esther Boulevard. It will have multiple classrooms (including a 1000 sq ft hatha, meditation and multi-purpose room), a book store, large kitchen and dining room, library, and ample office space. We have met with the City of Fort Walton Beach regarding zoning and have received approval of the location for an ashram. Due diligence period has been finalized and after a few small details the closing should happen within a few days. Shortly thereafter we will have an inauguration celebration to show everybody the new ashram home and what improvements are being planned for the building. We'll let you know details when available.

      MEMBERSHIP: We have three levels of involvement in the ashram, which are described here:
      http://swamij.com/abhyasa-ashram.htm#membership

      **********************************
      LOCAL ASHRAM ACTIVITIES
      (All times CST/CDST US)
      **********************************
      DAILY Silent Meditation (30 minutes): 11:30am and 6:00pm
      (If you are in another city, state or country, please join us from your home if you are free to do so at these times.) When I am traveling the meditation room will generally be opened by Kathleen Gibson. She will also facilitate satsangs such as Bhagavad Gita, Wednesday Noon, first Friday and third Saturday/

      MON, AUG 16, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, AUG 18, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      SAT, AUG 21, 10:00am: 3rd Saturday Satsang
      SAT, AUG 21, 6:30pm: Vegetarian pot luck (3rd Sat)
      SAT, AUG 21, 7:00pm: Movie ("Anger Management") and popcorn

      MON, AUG 23, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, AUG 25, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, AUG 27, 7:00pm: Drumming and Music (bring any instruments)

      MON, AUG 30, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 1, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, SEP 3, 6:30pm: First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion

      MON, SEP 6, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 8, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, SEP 10, 7:00pm, Mantra Mela

      MON, SEP 13, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 15, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      SAT, SEP 18, 6:30pm Vegetarian Pot luck
      SAT, SEP 18, 7:00pm Movie ("Inner Peace in a Troubled World") and popcorn

      MON, SEP 20, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 22, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, SEP 24, 7:00pm, Drumming and Music (bring any instruments)

      MON, SEP 27, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed
      by 6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, SEP 29, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, OCT 1, 7:00pm, First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion

      FEBRUARY in Florida (February 2011):
      Daily discussions and meditations
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/feb-in-florida.htm

      OCT 30, 2010: Overnight meditation retreat at Ramada on Okaloosa Island. Details will be announced in the newsletter.

      **********************************
      ONLINE DISCUSSION / SATSANG
      **********************************
      Times are CST/CDST US
      WED, 9:00pm, Swami Rama book reviews
      SAT, 8:30am, Satsang and Discussion
      SAT, 9:00pm, Readings Satsang and Discussion
      SUN, 9:00pm, Bhagavad Gita Discussion
      EXCEPTIONS: When Swami Jnaneshvara is traveling, then either Kathleen or Tripurashakti will open the meetings.

      SCHEDULE and DETAILS: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      (This page is also linked on the home page of SwamiJ.com)

      We are exploring alternatives of service providers for the online meetings. Please see the link above for the latest info.

      **********************************
      RETREATS IN INDIA:
      **********************************
      November 2010
      March 2011
      November 2011
      Details are on the website:
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/rishikesh-retreat.htm

      **********************************
      OTHER PROGRAMS (Details TBA)
      **********************************
      August/September 2010: Pittsburgh. Dates will be posted soon.
      September 16-20, 2010: New York City (Write to me for contact information of the people in New York who are sponsoring the visit, or directly contact one of the circle of people in New York if you are connected with the satsang group there.)
      October 1-3, 2010: East Aurora, New York (Write to me and I'll pass on contact information for the sponsor of the visit.)
      October 12-24, 2010: Santiago, Chile
      November 2010: Rishikesh, India
      April 2011: Sydney Australia (and possibly Bali), sponsored by:
      http://www.yogacoach.com/

      **********************************
      CENTER FOR NONDUALISM
      **********************************
      A Community for Nondual Religion, Yoga, and Philosophy
      Providing a "Sunday Alternative" for the Emerald Coast
      Every Sunday at:
      Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547

      *****************

      SUNDAY Program:
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship
      WEBSITE:
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/
      NEWSLETTER:

      *****************

      SWAMI JNANESHVARA upcoming Center participation:

      AUG 15, 9:30: Interactive Program: Personality post-it notes and Bhuta Shuddi chakra meditation
      AUG 15, 11:00: Speaker for main program: "Yoga the Old Fashioned Way"
      AUG 29, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      SEP 12, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      SEP 26, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      OCT 10, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      OCT 31, 11:00: Speaker for main program

      *****************

      4th ANNUAL CONFERENCE and RETREAT:
      Joyously Living Nondualism
      February 17-20, 2011
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/

      **********************************

      ARTICLES:

      Training the Ten Senses or Indriyas
      http://swamij.com/indriyas.htm
      Like a building with ten doors: In traditional Yoga philosophy and practice, the human being is seen as being like a building with ten doors. Five are entrance doors, and five are exit doors. Consciously, actively and intentionally witnessing these ten senses as they function is an important part of Yoga meditation, and meditation in action.

      *****************

      REFLECTIONS:

      "All our worship is internal and we do not perform any rituals." ~ Swami Rama (describing the tradition of the Himalayan masters)

      PODCASTS:
      Archive of audio podcasts:
      http://www.swamij.com/podcast.htm

      YOUTUBE:
      Archives of my videos on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/yogabindu
      http://www.youtube.com/swamijb
      Someone has also anonymously put 126 short videos of Swami Rama's lectures on
      internet:
      http://www.youtube.com/swamiramahimalayas

      CONNECTIONS
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/swamij