Abhyasa Ashram Activities update - July 22, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2010
      Abhyasa Ashram Newsletter:
      Local activities, online meetings, retreats, other programs
      Update: July 22, 2010

      *****************

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." The hermitage or home of a swami or other person serving people in their efforts towards inner peace and spiritual awakening is called an Ashram. Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      Calendar: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm

      **********************************
      ASHRAM NEWS
      **********************************
      We have made an offer on purchasing a new home for the ashram. A counter offer has been made and we are negotiating final terms. It is a location that would have multiple classrooms (including a 1000 sq ft hatha, meditation and multi-purpose room), a book store, large kitchen and dining room, library, and ample office space.

      **********************************
      LOCAL ASHRAM ACTIVITIES
      (All times CST/CDST US)
      **********************************
      DAILY Silent Meditation (30 minutes): 11:30am and 6:00pm
      (If you are in another city, state or country, please join us from your home if you are free to do so at these times.) When I am traveling the meditation room will generally be opened by Kathleen Gibson. She will also facilitate satsangs such as Bhagavad Gita, Wednesday Noon, first Friday and third Saturday/

      SUN, Jul 25, 2010 6:30-8:30 pm: Guru Purnima celebration (Silent meditation is 6:00-6:30pm). Annual celebration of the guiding force on full moon day. The actual full moon is 8:37pm CDST on Jul 25. We'll have tea and food, and share stories. We will end punctually at 9:00pm due to the 9:00pm online Bhagavad Gita satsang, for which you are welcome to stay for the live discussion.
      MON, JUL 26, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, JUL 28, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering

      MON, AUG 2, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, AUG 4, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, AUG 6, 6:30pm: First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion

      MON, AUG 9, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, AUG 11, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering

      MON, AUG 16, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, AUG 18, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      SAT, AUG 21, 10:00am: 3rd Saturday Satsang

      MON, AUG 23, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, AUG 25, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering

      FEBRUARY in Florida (February 2011):
      Daily discussions and meditations
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/feb-in-florida.htm

      OCT 30, 2010: Overnight meditation retreat at Ramada on Okaloosa Island. Details will be announced in the newsletter.

      **********************************
      ONLINE DISCUSSION / SATSANG
      **********************************
      Times are CST/CDST US
      WED, 9:00pm, Satsang and Discussion
      SAT, 8:30am, Satsang and Discussion
      SAT, 9:00pm, Readings Satsang and Discussion
      SUN, 9:00pm, Bhagavad Gita Discussion
      EXCEPTIONS: when I am traveling. Details are always updated here:
      http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      When I am traveling, the online satsangs will generally be opened and facilitated by Kathleen Gibson.

      SCHEDULE and DETAILS: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      (This page is also linked on the home page of SwamiJ.com)

      We have been using gotomeeting.com for our gatherings, but it has a limit of 15 participants and 1 organizer. Because we have been reaching that level, I "upgraded" to gotowebminar.com (same company), which is supposed to accommodate up to 100 participants. However, it does not permit usage of the same meeting number as a "recurring" meeting. This creates a login problem for everybody, as there would be 4 different meeting numbers each week. I'm trying to find a workaround through their tech support, but so far I've found no convenient solution. To "upgrade" (for a lot more money) it seems odd to lose features.

      **********************************
      RETREATS IN INDIA:
      **********************************
      November 2010
      March 2011
      November 2011
      Details are on the website:
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/rishikesh-retreat.htm

      **********************************
      OTHER PROGRAMS (Details TBA)
      **********************************
      September 16-20, 2010: New York City (Write to me for contact information of the people in New York who are sponsoring the visit, or directly contact one of the circle of people in New York if you are connected with the satsang group there.)
      October 1-3, 2010: East Aurora, New York (Write to me and I'll pass on contact information for the sponsor of the visit.)
      October 2010 Santiago, Chile
      November 2010: Rishikesh, India
      April 2011: Sydney Australia (and possibly Bali), sponsored by:
      http://www.yogacoach.com/

      **********************************
      CENTER FOR NONDUALISM
      **********************************
      A Community for Nondual Religion, Yoga, and Philosophy
      Providing a "Sunday Alternative" for the Emerald Coast
      Every Sunday at:
      Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547

      *****************

      SUNDAY Program:
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship
      WEBSITE:
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/
      NEWSLETTER:

      *****************

      SWAMI JNANESHVARA upcoming Center participation:

      AUG 1, 9:30: Speaker for main program
      AUG 8, 11:00: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      AUG 15, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      AUG 29, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      SEP 12, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      SEP 26, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      OCT 10, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      OCT 31, 11:00: Speaker for main program

      *****************

      4th ANNUAL CONFERENCE and RETREAT:
      Joyously Living Nondualism
      February 17-20, 2011
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/

      **********************************

      ARTICLES:

      Purusharthas, Four Aspects of Human Life:
      http://www.swamij.com/purusharthas.htm
      There are four aspects or facets of human life: dharma, artha, kama and moksha. They have to do with living one's purpose, having a stable foundation in the world, wisely fulfilling desires, and freedom from the constraints of one's false identities. Each of these is a part of life. While it may be true that ultimately the goal of life has only to do with final liberation (moksha), the others are virtually essential steps along the way. Recognizing this is one way of holding the suggestion to live "in" the world, while not being "of" the world.

      *****************

      REFLECTIONS:

      Pursue Truth with the intensity of the hare and the patience of the tortoise.

      PODCASTS:
      Archive of audio podcasts:
      http://www.swamij.com/podcast.htm

      YOUTUBE:
      Archives of my videos on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/yogabindu
      http://www.youtube.com/swamijb
      Someone has also anonymously put 126 short videos of Swami Rama's lectures on
      internet:
      http://www.youtube.com/swamiramahimalayas

      CONNECTIONS
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/swamij