Abhyasa Ashram Activities update - July 1, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2010
      Abhyasa Ashram Newsletter:
      Local activities, online meetings, retreats, other programs
      Update: July 1, 2010

      *****************

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." The hermitage or home of a swami or other person serving people in their efforts towards inner peace and spiritual awakening is called an Ashram. Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      Calendar: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm

      **********************************
      ASHRAM NEWS
      **********************************
      We continue exploring alternatives for the physical ashram, looking at existing properties and talking with contractors. We also continue to explore distance learning options. We'll continue to let you know details as they are known. Because of the kindness of one of our supporters we now and installing a sophisticated Apple computer system to help with ashram management and the distance learning programs. The forms for filing for non profit status with the Internal Revenue Service are almost completed and will soon be submitted.

      **********************************
      LOCAL ASHRAM ACTIVITIES
      (All times CST/CDST US)
      **********************************
      DAILY Silent Meditation (30 minutes): 11:30am and 6:00pm
      (If you are in another city, state or country, please join us from your home if you are free to do so at these times.)

      FRI, JUL 2, 6:30pm: First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion

      MON, JUL 5, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, JUL 7, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, JUL 9, 7:00pm: Mantra Mela (traditional Gayatri, Mahamrityunjaya, etc.)

      MON, JUL 12, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, JUL 14, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      SAT, JUL 17 10:00am: 3rd Saturday Satsang

      MON, JUL 19, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, JUL 21, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering

      SUN, Jul 25, 2010 6:30-8:30 pm: Guru Purnima celebration (Silent meditation is 6:00-6:30pm). Annual celebration of the guiding force on full moon day. The actual full moon is 8:37pm CDST on Jul 25. We'll have tea and food, and share stories. We will end punctually at 9:00pm due to the 9:00pm online Bhagavad Gita satsang, for which you are welcome to stay for the live discussion.
      MON, JUL 26, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      WED, JUL 28, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering

      MON, AUG 2, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita, followed by
      6:00pm meditation and dinner at Bombay Masala
      WED, AUG 4, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FRI, AUG 6, 6:30pm: First Friday Yoga Sutras and discussion

      FEBRUARY in Florida (February 2011):
      Daily discussions and meditations
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/feb-in-florida.htm

      OCT 30, 2010: Overnight meditation retreat. Location, dates, and times will be announced in the newsletter. Most likely will be at Ramada on Okaloosa Island, Fort Walton Beach

      **********************************
      ONLINE DISCUSSION / SATSANG
      **********************************
      Times are CST/CDST US
      WED, 9:00pm, Satsang and Discussion
      SAT, 8:30am, Satsang and Discussion
      SAT, 9:00pm, Satsang and Discussion
      SUN, 9:00pm, Bhagavad Gita Discussion
      EXCEPTIONS: when I am traveling. Details are always updated here:
      http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      When I am traveling, the online satsangs will generally be facilitated by Kathleen Gibson.

      SCHEDULE and DETAILS: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      (This page is also linked on the home page of SwamiJ.com)

      CLICK THIS LINK to join any of the meetings listed above (meeting ID 417556059):
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/417556059

      **********************************
      RETREATS IN INDIA:
      **********************************
      November 2010
      March 2011
      November 2011
      Details are on the website:
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/rishikesh-retreat.htm

      **********************************
      OTHER PROGRAMS (Details TBA)
      **********************************
      September 16-20, 2010: New York City (Write to me for contact information of the people in New York who are sponsoring the visit, or directly contact one of the circle of people in New York if you are connected with the satsang group there.)
      October 1-3, 2010: East Aurora, New York (Write to me and I'll pass on contact information for the sponsor of the visit.)
      October 2010 Santiago, Chile
      November 2010: Rishikesh, India
      April 2011: Sydney Australia, sponsored by:
      http://www.yogacoach.com/

      **********************************
      CENTER FOR NONDUALISM
      **********************************
      A Community for Nondual Religion, Yoga, and Philosophy
      Providing a "Sunday Alternative" for the Emerald Coast
      Every Sunday at:
      Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547

      *****************

      SUNDAY Program:
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship
      WEBSITE:
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/
      NEWSLETTER:

      *****************

      SWAMI JNANESHVARA upcoming Center participation:

      JUL 4, 11:00: Speaker for the main program
      AUG 1, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      AUG 8, 11:00: Speaker for main program
      AUG 29, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion

      *****************

      4th ANNUAL CONFERENCE and RETREAT:
      Joyously Living Nondualism
      February 17-20, 2011
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/

      **********************************

      ARTICLES:

      Coordinating the Four Functions of Mind
      http://swamij.com/fourfunctionsmind.htm
      Discriminating between the four functions: This is one of the most profound self-awareness practices of the ancient Himalayan sages. This Yoga practice is just as profoundly useful today as it was thousands of years ago. The process is one of self-observation, and gradually discriminating between these four aspects of the inner instrument, so as to attain the direct experience of the Center of Consciousness from which all of our thoughts, emotions, and experiences arise on various degrees and grades.

      *****************

      REFLECTIONS:

      Judge each day not by the harvest you reap,
nor by the seeds that you plant,
but by the stillness of your mind in meditation.

      PODCASTS:
      Archive of audio podcasts:
      http://www.swamij.com/podcast.htm

      YOUTUBE:
      Archives of my videos on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/yogabindu
      http://www.youtube.com/swamijb
      Someone has also anonymously put 126 short videos of Swami Rama's lectures on
      internet:
      http://www.youtube.com/swamiramahimalayas

      CONNECTIONS
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/swamij