MAY 17 Daily Goal and Internal Dialogue

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2010
      Monday, May 17
      Practice as outlined on pages 32 and 33 of this:
      http://www.swamij.com/pdf/swamiramateachings.pdf

      Daily Goal: Practice one-pointedness, paying attention to whatever you are doing today.
      In yoga sutra 1.30 Patanjali outlines nine predictable obstacles which naturally occur on the path: 1.30 Nine kinds of distractions come that are obstacles naturally encountered on the path, and are physical illness, tendency of the mind to not work efficiently, doubt or indecision, lack of attention to pursuing the means of samadhi, laziness in mind and body, failure to regulate the desire for worldly objects, incorrect assumptions or thinking, failing to attain stages of the practice, and instability in maintaining a level of practice once attained. He also describes four other obstacles which come from these nine: 1.31 From these obstacles, there are four other consequences that also arise, and these are: 1) mental or physical pain, 2) sadness or dejection, 3) restlessness, shakiness, or anxiety, and 4) irregularities in the exhalation and inhalation of breath.
      However, he explains that one-pointedness is the counterbalance for these thirteen obstacles:
      http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-13032.htm#1.32
      1.32 To prevent or deal with these nine obstacles and their four consequences, the recommendation is to make the mind one-pointed, training it how to focus on a single principle or object.

      Daily Internal Dialogue: Say to your mind, "please be my friend." How does your mind respond?
      Try this literally. You may be amazed that responses do come, whether you've never done this before, or even if you have, and may have drifted away from this for a while?
      When you try this, if you wish, post a short comment about what happened. I just did it and my mind said, "Why don't you pay so much attention to me? You talk to all those other people, but you forget about me." It was a warm dialogue, as it went on from there.
      There is a description of internal dialogue on pages 16 and 17 of this:
      http://www.swamij.com/pdf/swamiramateachings.pdf