Activities update: February 11, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2010
      Local activities, online meetings, retreats, other programs
      Update: February 11, 2010

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." The hermitage or home of a swami or other person serving people in their efforts towards inner peace and spiritual awakening is called an Ashram. Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      NEWS
      We have started the process of incorporating the ashram and attaining nonprofit status. Over the coming year we will consolidate finances and seek to acquire or build a larger ashram. Details will be announced as known.

      LOCAL ACTIVITIES
      Daily Silent Meditation (30 minutes): 11:30am and 6:00pm
      FEB 11, THU, 7:00pm: Videos of Swami Rama lectures
      FEB 14, SUN, 9:30-11:00am Center for Nondualism
      FEB 15, MON, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita
      FEB 17, WED, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      FEB 18, THU, 7:00pm: Videos of Swami Rama lectures
      FEB 4-24, 10:30-1:30, 5:30-8:30, February in Florida (see link below)
      FEB 25-28, FRI, 7:00pm: Nondualism Conference
      Calendar: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm

      FEBRUARY in Florida (Feb 4-24):
      Daily discussions and meditations
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/feb-in-florida.htm

      ONLINE MEETINGS
      Regular online meetings, reviewing articles from SwamiJ.com and other sources, along with Q&A on general topics
      Schedule and details: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      Usually several times per week unless I am traveling and have no internet access

      Click this link to join any of the meetings listed below (meeting ID 417556059):
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/417556059
      Exceptions to the following regular schedules will be noted below the specific dates and times.

      Wednesdays, 9:00pm CST (US), Satsang and Discussion
      Fridays, 9:00pm CST (US), Satsang and Discussion
      Saturdays, 8:30am CST (US), Satsang and Discussion
      Saturdays, 9:00pm CST (US), Satsang and Discussion
      Sundays, 9:00pm CST (US), Bhagavad Gita Discussion
      Online copy of Perennial Psychology of the Bhagavad Gita is here.
      http://books.google.com/books?id=UVTfbBezcfcC&pg=PP1&dq=perennial+psychology+of+the+bhagavad+gita#v=onepage&q=&f=false

      RETREATS IN INDIA:
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/rishikesh-retreat.htm
      March 8 - 28, 2010
      November 15 - December 5, 2010
      March 7 - 27, 2011
      November 14 - December 4, 2011

      CENTER FOR NONDUALISM
      A Community for Non-Dual Religion, Yoga, and Philosophy
      Providing a "Sunday Alternative"
      Every Sunday at: Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547
      SUNDAY PROGRAM:
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship
      CENTER WEBSITE:
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/
      CENTER NEWSLETTER:
      SWAMI JNANESHVARA upcoming Center participation:
      February 7, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      February 28, 11:00: Closing presentation at the Conference
      ANNUAL CONFERENCE AND RETREAT:
      Transcending Fear, the Greatest Obstacle to Nondual Realization
      February 25-28, 2010
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/

      ARTICLES:
      Yoga (as the term is used on SwamiJ.com)
      http://www.swamij.com/yoga-note.htm
      Throughout this website the word "Yoga" is used in its traditional meaning of spiritual realization, rather than the revisionist meaning of Yoga as a physical fitness program.
      Traditionally, Yoga (Sanskrit: union) has referred to the realization through direct experience of the preexisting union between Atman and Brahman, Jivatman and Paramatman, and Shiva and Shakti, or the realization of Purusha standing alone as separate from Prakriti. Yoga is the realization of union between the microcosm of individuality with the macrocosm of universality.

      REFLECTIONS:
      The most important trip you'll make in life
      is the trip into meditation,
      where you go nowhere.

      PODCASTS:
      Archive of audio podcasts: