Activities update: October 21, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2009
      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." The hermitage or home of a swami or other person serving people in their efforts towards inner peace and spiritual awakening is called an Ashram. Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      LOCAL ACTIVITIES
      Daily Silent Meditation (30 minutes): 11:30am and 6:00pm
      Friday, October 21, 7:00 pm: Satsang and Mantra
      Mondays, 4:00 pm: Book Club: Bhagavad Gita
      Wednesdays, 12:00 pm: Curriculum discussion
      Thursdays, 7:00 pm: Swami Rama videos and discussion
      Calendar: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm

      ONLINE MEETINGS
      Regular online meetings, reviewing articles from SwamiJ.com and other sources, along with Q&A on general topics
      Schedule and details: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      Usually several times per week unless I am traveling and have no internet access

      RETREATS IN INDIA:
      November 16 – December 6, 2009
      March 8 - 28, 2010
      November 15 - December 5, 2010
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/rishikesh-retreat.htm

      ARTICLES:
      The Essence of Spiritual Life, by Swami Rama
      http://www.swamij.com/swami-rama-essence.htm

      REFLECTIONS:
      One of my fondest memories is of the day Swami Rama said to me simply, "You are on the path. I will lead you." He has done what he said he would do, for which I am truly grateful.

      CONNECTIONS
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/swamij
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/swamij
      Calendar: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm
      Email and postal contact: http://www.swamij.com/contact.htm

      CENTER FOR NONDUALISM
      A Community for Non-Dual Religion, Yoga, and Philosophy
      Providing a "Sunday Alternative"
      Every Sunday at: Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship

      Website:
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/
      Newsletter:

      Annual Conference and Retreat:
      Transcending Fear, the Greatest Obstacle to Nondual Realization
      February 25-28, 2010

      Swami Jnaneshvara upcoming participation:
      October 25, 9:30am: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      November 1, 11:00am: Speaker in main program
      December 13, 11:00am: Speaker in main program
      December 21, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion