What are my words for the purpose of life?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2001
      The web page of the sadhana newsletter is:
      Please also let me hear your comments, suggestions, and questions.
      Swami J
      (Dandi Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati)
      SwamiJB@... http://www.SwamiJ.com
      March 30, 2001

      Dear Friends,

      Ultimately there really does seem to be a purpose to life. We each
      may use different words, which match our own unique background,
      personality, culture, and religion.

      Here's one of the ways of saying it, from the Introduction to Sacred
      Journey:

      "Life's purpose is to know the distinction between what is outside
      and fleeting, and what is inside and eternal, and to discover through
      practice and experience the infinite value of one to the other. Once
      this distinction is realized life takes on a joyful meaning and the
      fear of death evaporates."

      SOME QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

      1. What is MY understanding of the purpose of life? What are MY words
      for this?
      2. What "practice" am I willing to do so that I may "experience" that
      purpose?