Faith in Jesus? - By Swami Nirmalananda Giri

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2009
      From:
      http://blog.atmajyoti.org/2009/01/faith-in-jesus/

      FAITH IN JESUS?
      Swami Nirmalananda Giri
      January 21st, 2009

      What do the Gospels really say about believing in Jesus?

      Those without a clear understanding of Jesus' nature, mission, or
      message, like to insist that believing in or accepting Jesus as our
      Savior is necessary for salvation. To support this they quote:
      "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved" (Acts 16:31).

      This seems to be only following the teaching of Jesus, Who said such
      things as: "He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John
      6:47). "Whosoever believeth on me shall not abide in darkness" (John
      12:46). "Whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die" (John
      11:26). "This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath
      sent" (John 6:29).

      The Greek word for "in," is "en," but in each instance quoted, Jesus
      uses the word "eis," which means "into." (Or rather, Saint John,
      writing in Greek, was very careful to use only eis, so Jesus' inner
      meaning would be conveyed. Jesus, of course, spoke in Aramaic.)
      Therefore Jesus is not saying "believe 'in' Me," but "believe 'into'
      Me." He is urging us to merge our consciousness into His
      consciousness–which is not the limited consciousness of an individual,
      but the boundless Christ Consciousness. First we unite our
      consciousness with Christ, the Divine Consciousness immanent in all
      creation, and then through That we shall be enabled to unite our
      consciousness with the transcendent Consciousness of God the Absolute,
      God the Father.

      The Christ Consciousness acts as the bridge by which we pass into God
      Consciousness. And this is what is really meant by the intercession
      and mediatorship of Christ: something far beyond the scope of
      exoteric, limited "Christianity." "It is Christ who maketh
      intercession for us" (Romans 8:34). "Wherefore he is able also to save
      them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth
      to make intercession for them" (Hebrews 7:25). "For there is one God,
      and one mediator between God and men" (I Timothy 2:5).

      We must become one with Jesus in Christ Consciousness; then we shall
      inherit the kingdom of God: God Himself. "Wherefore thou art no more a
      servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ"
      (Galatians 4:7). "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and
      joint-heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:17).

      "Eis" also has the connotation of moving toward that into which we
      shall eventually enter. So we must begin believing toward God right
      now by orienting our consciousness, will, and aspiration toward the
      Supreme. It also means a continual movement toward the goal. And
      lastly, it means actually inside or within something. So our faith
      must be manifesting within the Being of God. Just sitting outside God
      saying we believe in Him means nothing. We must be inside that Light
      for our faith to be of any effect.

      Jesus is exhorting us to meditate, for it is through meditation that
      we enter into the Consciousness we seek. Then we shall no longer
      believe, but KNOW.

      Related articles (also by Swami Nirmalananda Giri):

      What Did Jesus Really Say in the Sermon on the Mount?
      http://blog.atmajyoti.org/2008/02/what-did-jesus-really-say-in-the-sermon-on-the-mount/

      Mercy and the Law of Karma
      http://blog.atmajyoti.org/2008/02/mercy-and-the-law-of-karma/

      The Authentic Christian View on Reincarnation
      http://blog.atmajyoti.org/2008/08/the-authentic-christian-view-on-reincarnation/