Finish What You Start

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2009
      From Merging with Shiva
      by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

      FINISH WHAT YOU START

      We are not always sitting down concentrating on a flower in the search
      for the Self. Once you have decided that Self Realization is the
      ultimate goal for you, go on living your normal life. Everything that
      you do in life can collectively be channeled toward the ultimate goal,
      for what you need is a dynamic will. You need a strong willpower.

      Willpower is the channeling of all energies toward one given point for
      a given length of time. This will can be brought out from within in
      everything that we do through the day. It's a powerful will. It's
      available to everyone. It is channeling the rarefied energies of the
      body, of awareness itself, into attention and concentration upon
      everything that we do through the day.

      How do we cultivate the willpower? What do we mean by will? Will means
      that if you're going to complete something, you complete it. Finish
      that which you begin. Finish it well, beyond your expectations, no
      matter how long it takes. If you are going to do something, do it
      well, no matter if it is a simple task or a complicated one. If you're
      going to read a book and intend to finish the book, then read the
      book, finish the book, and understand what it had to offer you, for
      that was the purpose for reading it.

      It is not developing a strong will by having a lot of half-finished
      jobs. It is not developing a strong will by starting out with a bang
      on a project and then fizzling out. These only attach awareness to
      that which it is aware of and lead us into the distraction of thinking
      the external mind is real. Then we forget our inner goal of Self
      Realization because the subconscious becomes too ramified with,
      basically, our being disappointed in ourselves, or the willpower being
      so diversified, or awareness being so divided in many different ways
      that whatever we want to do never works out because there is not
      enough will, or shove, or centralization of energy, or awareness is
      not at attention over the project enough, to make it come into completion.

      A tremendous will is needed on the path of Self Realization, of
      drawing the forces of energy together, of drawing awareness away from
      that which it is aware of constantly, of finishing each job that we
      begin in the material world, and doing it well, so that we are content
      within ourselves. Make everything that you do satisfy the inner
      scrutiny of your inner being. Do a little more than you think that you
      are able to do. That brings forth just a little more will.