Yoga, Computers and Four Levels of Consciousness

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2009
      From:
      http://www.swamij.com/computers-consciousness.htm
      (The whole article is at this link, along with useful pictures)

      YOGA, COMPUTERS AND FOUR LEVELS OF CONSCIOUSNESS
      By Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati

      I am not the picture on my computer monitor.
      I am electricity.

      I am not the processing in my microchip.
      I am electricity.

      I am not the data on my hard drive.
      I am electricity.

      I am the life in all of these three.
      I am the electricity.

      A MODEL FOR MEDITATION: The computer can be used as a modern metaphor
      for understanding the process of Yoga meditation and the levels of
      consciousness through which one journeys. By understanding these
      levels or stages, it is much easier to understand how meditation is
      not used merely as a means of relaxation or psychic experience, but as
      the means for the realization of the ever pure, ever joyful core of
      our being, by whatever name you choose to call that center.

      FOUR LEVELS:

      1. Peripherals/Conscious: The ten senses and means of expression
      (indriyas), along with the conscious mind, allow the inner person to
      communicate and act in the external world, like the peripherals of a
      computer system, including monitor, keyboard, speakers, and microphone.
      Four functions of mind: Throughout the conscious, unconscious, and
      subconscious levels, the four functions of mind operate ever subtler,
      until even they are transcended in the fourth stage, noted below.

      2. Microchip/Unconscious: The active unconscious mind processes mostly
      out of view, with only a small part of its functioning normally coming
      to the surface of the conscious mind, like the microchip of the
      computer, which does a tremendous amount of processing, yet presents
      only a tiny amount of that to the peripherals.

      3. Hard-drive/Subconscious: It is consciousness flowing in or through
      the deep impressions of the latent subconscious, which causes them to
      stir, just like the otherwise inert binary numbers resident on a
      hard-drive, which do nothing until they are energetically brought to
      life and spring forth into the microchip.

      4. Electricity/Consciousness: The conscious, unconscious, and
      subconscious levels of mind all function because of the flow of
      consciousness, energy, or life force, just as the peripherals,
      microchip, and hard-drive all operate because of the electricity. Both
      the consciousness and the electricity are uniform, regardless of what
      programs might be running in the moment.

      I AM THE ELECTRICITY:

      I am not the peripherals!: One explores the peripherals, the waking
      state, the conscious mind, and the gross world, moving through them in
      meditation.

      I am not the microprocessor!: One explores the microprocessor, the
      dreaming state, the unconscious mind, and the subtle plane, moving
      through them in meditation.

      I am not the hard-drive!: One explores the hard-drive, the deep sleep
      state, the subconscious mind, and the causal plane, moving through
      them in meditation.

      I am the electricity!: Through deep meditation, one pierces the three
      layers described above. Ultimately, one comes to resolve the question,
      "Who am I?" in direct experience, with the realization of being the
      pure consciousness, energy, or life force that is beyond, higher, or
      underneath each of the other three levels, stages, or states, which is
      the core of our being.

      MORE ARTICLES ON THESE LEVELS OF CONSCIOUSNESS:

      http://www.swamij.com/index-yoga-meditation-levels.htm