Vairagya

  • swamijb
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2001
      ************************
      Swami J's Newsletter
      ************************

      December 25, 2001

      Dear Friends,

      Vairagya is translated variously as non-attachment, detachment, or
      dispassion. It should not be confused with indifference, lack of
      emotion, lifelessness, numbness, or anything of that sort. Vairagya
      is hardly indifference or numbness. Vairagya is a vibrant, open,
      expansive way of living. It could more accurately be defined as love,
      as a wonderful energy of openness, freedom, joy, giving,
      selflessness, and fearlessness. That is vairagya.

      The Vedantic philosophy of vairagya says you own nothing, so there is
      nothing to fear. Everything you need for the purpose of life is there
      in abundance. There is no reason to be possessive and selfish. There
      is no reason to worry. Just live life as fully as possible with what
      you have.

      Jesus said it clearly: "Take no thought for your life, what you shall
      eat, or what you shall drink, nor for your body, what you shall put
      on. Is not life more than meat, and the body more than raiment?
      Behold the fowls of the air, for they sow not, neither do they reap,
      nor gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you
      not much better than they? Which of you by taking thought can add one
      cubit unto his stature?

      "And why take you thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the
      field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin. And yet I
      say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like
      one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothed the grass of the field,
      which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much
      more clothe you, O you of little faith?

      "Therefore, take no thought saying, What shall we eat? Or, what shall
      we drink? Or, wherewithal shall we be clothed? Your heavenly Father
      knows that you have need of all these things.

      "But first seek the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all
      these things shall be added unto you."

      Don't fear over the things of the world. They are not there to be
      acquired and hoarded. They were meant to serve spiritual needs. If
      spiritual progress is the focus of life, everything you need, whether
      it is a lot or a little, will be there.

      Vairagya is the expression of this faith. *

      * Swami Rama, Sacred Journey

      Guided meditation, January 3:
      24-Hour Meditation Retreat, January 19:
      http://www.geocities.com/swamijb/Calendar.htm