Ananda Acharya on Trees, Birds, etc.

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2008
      From:
      http://www.traditionalyogastudies.com/ananda_acharya_trees1.html

      Ananda Acharya on Trees, Birds, etc.

      Give your affection for at least five minutes every day to trees and
      animals, to birds and fishes. You will soon discover in them a portion
      of your own life, sharing the wine of Brahman's love. Think of them as
      manifestations of divine wisdom and treat them as members of humanity
      with full right to live and enjoy. The ruthless rate at which our
      cannibalistic civilized savages are felling forest trees and
      exterminating birds and animals and fish is beyond all bounds, and the
      children of men who will be born twenty or thirty years hence will
      have to learn the life history of birds and trees and animals from
      photographs and pictures. Remember, birds and animals are the friends
      of trees and trees are the friends of man, and when birds and animals
      and trees are gone out of our planet man will be friendless and the
      future human race will then receive the same gift of extinction which
      its reckless ancestors have offered to birds and trees and animals.
      Without forests, without birds, without animals, what will be left for
      poets to celebrate in their verse?

      Swami Sri Ananda Acharya [1881-1945], Spiritual Talks (Hoshiarpur,
      India: Vishveshvaranand Vedic Research Institute, 1957), p. 95