Being a ticket taker in meditation

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2008
      From:
      http://www.swamij.com/inviting.htm

      BEING A TICKET TAKER IN MEDITATION
      Swami Jnaneshvara

      For Yoga meditation, one learns to let the thoughts "flow without
      interruption." However, something comes first, before we can neutrally
      witness the entire stream of thoughts flowing.

      OBSERVING AN INDIVIDUAL THOUGHT

      First we need to practice with individual thoughts, consciously
      practicing allowing some single thought to arise, just so we can
      observe the way in which it naturally drifts away, returning to the
      still, silent place from which it arose.

      There is a strong temptation to just block all of the thoughts by
      focusing on some object, or by chanting a mantra. This is a serious
      mistake for a meditator to make. It puts a veil, or maybe better to
      say a wall between our conscious state and the deeper parts of our
      being, including the bliss we are seeking and the center of
      consciousness. What can start out as an effort to meditate ends up
      just another method of suppressing thoughts and emotions, and this is
      definitely not useful.

      What we want to do here is to sit quietly, breath smoothly, and then
      from within our mind field, intentionally allow some random thought
      impression to arise. Usually what happens is that we don't even notice
      these single impressions come up, and then we get caught in a long
      train of thinking process. Next thing we know, we have a headache!

      Here, we want to catch the thought, spot it, or detect it as it
      arises. This is actually quite fascinating to notice the way in which
      a single thought pattern breaks through from the unconscious into our
      conscious field. The object may be something very simple and mundane,
      such as a piece of fruit, some object around your house, or a scenic
      view you saw some time ago.

      It does not matter what the object is--just allow the image to arise
      on its own. Also, it does not matter whether you literally "see" with
      your inner eye or not. Whether you "see" or do not "see" with your
      inner eye, you still are well aware of what images or impressions are
      arising.

      The next part, which is quite intriguing to observe is to allow that
      thought to go, to let it drift right back to the silent, still place
      from which it arose in the first place. This is not some complicated
      meditation practice. Anyone can do this, and will gain tremendous
      insight from the practice, if done regularly as a foundation practice
      of meditation.

      TWO NATURAL TENDENCIES OF THOUGHTS

      You will come to see that if we allow it, it is quite natural for
      these thought patterns to do two things:

      1. It is natural for them to arise, and
      2. It is natural for them to gently fall back to the place from which
      they arose.

      We usually engage that single thought pattern and turn it into a whole
      train of thought patterns, as if we are all Hollywood movie producers
      in our mental stage. That single impression arises, and then off we
      go! More and more thought impressions get drawn into the drama, and
      along comes our emotional reactions as well. (Here, we are not being
      critical of thoughts and emotions and their exploration. These can
      definitely have a useful place as adjuncts to meditation, but here we
      are talking of a specific practice related to Yoga meditation.)

      With a little experimentation we can learn that it really is easy to
      just let the thought drift away, and not turn it into a movie. This
      letting go is a skill unto itself. Learning to literally let go of a
      thought is a far superior skill than some technique of getting rid of,
      or blocking thoughts and emotions.

      BEING A TICKET TAKER

      Imagine you are a ticket taker at a theater, and that there is a long
      line of people coming into the theater. What do you do as a ticket
      taker? Is it not true that when a person comes to hand you their
      ticket, you greet them in a friendly way? You are open to them, and
      acknowledge them with a gesture, a few words, or maybe both. But how
      do you get them to go on into the theater? Or, for that matter, do you
      need to do anything to get them to go into the theater? Isn't it true
      that they will generally just go on into the theater on their own?

      So what is the action that you would naturally do as a ticket taker,
      when you have just taken the last persons ticket? Wouldn't you turn to
      the next person in line, and maybe say "Next!" as you greeted,
      accepted, and acknowledged that person as well? The previous person
      will just move on, automatically. This is exactly what we can do with
      those individual thoughts standing in line to come forward into
      consciousness when we sit for meditation.

      To have an attitude of quieting thoughts by stopping them would be
      like stopping the line of theatergoers from coming in the door. They
      might get pretty upset and start to cause trouble. Instead of having
      the attitude of getting rid of thoughts, have an attitude of inviting
      them to come, "Next…. Next…. Next…." Then let them go by.

      This literally can be practiced, one individual thought at a time.
      This can be done without having an object on which you are meditating.
      You just sit there and invite the thoughts, one at a time, to come
      forward, so that you can observe them come, and can then observe the
      beautiful way in which they go, on their own.

      Or, the practice can be done while at the same time remembering your
      object on which you are trying to focus for meditation, whether that
      be breath, an internal image, or a mantra.

      It is the skill itself, the art of letting go that we are trying to
      learn. It is an ability that few of us have ever been trained to do,
      but can we can train ourselves in this extremely useful skill.

      As this skill of learning to witness and let go of thought patterns is
      developed, it becomes more clear how this goes along with the practice
      of concentrating the mind. Then, instead of the concentration being a
      means of suppressing thoughts and emotions, and thus preventing
      meditation, concentration and witnessing work together. The mind is
      concentrated, while at the same time the field of consciousness is
      expanded from a witnessing stance, and deeper meditation is experienced.

      http://www.swamij.com