With what do you identify?

  • swamijb
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2001
      ************************
      Swami J's Newsletter
      ************************

      December 24, 2001

      Dear Friends,

      You seem to have lost your original identity and have identified with
      your thoughts and body.

      Suppose I ask you who you are if you don't identify with anything
      whatsoever.

      If you say, "I am a man," you have identified yourself with a
      masculine body. If you say, "I am a professor," you are identifying
      with the ideas gathered in your brain. If you say, "I am a
      millionaire," you are identifying with your bank account; if "a
      mother," with a child; "a husband," with your wife. "I am tall; I am
      short; I am black or white" shows your identification with the color
      and shape of the body.

      But without any identifications, who are you? Have you ever thought
      about it? When you really understand that, you will see we are all
      the same.

      If you detach yourself completely from all the things you have
      identified yourself with, you realize yourself as the pure "I." In
      that pure "I" there is no difference between you and me. *

      * Swami Satchidananda, Commentary on the Yoga Sutras

      Guided meditation, January 3:
      24-Hour Meditation Retreat, January 19:
      http://www.geocities.com/swamijb/Calendar.htm