Remembering mantra or jabbering on our cell phones

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8 8:54 AM

      In an email to someone who had written about a mantra, I wrote the
      following, which I thought I'd share with you:

      "Imagine a person driving off the road and wrecking his car. When
      asked how this happened he said, 'I was busy talking to my friend on
      my cell phone, forgot what I was doing, and just drove off the road.'
      To do a mantra without remembering its meaning is like that fellow
      driving his car off the road. Mahamrityunhaya mantra includes 'Om
      Tryambakam Yajamahe.' To remember that is to literally remember that
      one is saying, 'I am meditating on the one who looks out through the
      three eyes.' Are we actualy remembering that one, or are we just
      jabbering on our cell phones?" :)

      ------------------------------

      Here is info about the mantra:
      http://www.swamij.com/mahamrityunjaya.htm

      MAHAMRITYUNJAYA MANTRA

      Mahamrityunjaya Mantra (maha-mrityun-jaya) is one of the more potent
      of the ancient Sanskrit mantras. Maha mrityunjaya is a call for
      enlightenment and is a practice of purifying the karmas of the soul
      at a deep level. It is also said to be quite beneficial for mental,
      emotional, and physical health.

      Om Tryambakam Yajamahe
      Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
      Urvarukamiva Bandhanan
      Mrityor Mukshiya Maamritat

      We Meditate on the Three-eyed reality
      Which permeates and nourishes all like a fragrance.
      May we be liberated from death for the sake of immortality,
      Even as the cucumber is severed from bondage to the creeper.

      ------------------------------

      AUM/OM: Absolute reality. That which encompasses the three states of
      waking, dreaming, deep sleep, represented by AUM, the three levels of
      gross, subtle, causal, the three levels of conscious, unconscious,
      subconscious, and the three universal processes of coming, being, and
      going. Absolute silence beyond the three levels is the silence after
      AUM.

      Tryambakam: Trya means three. Ambakam means eyes. It means the three
      eyes of the Absolute, which are the processes of creation, existence,
      and dissolution, as well as the other triads, which are part of AUM.
      The three "eyes" means experiencing these three stages and triads at
      one time, from the higher, all pervasive vantage point of the
      Absolute.

      Yajamahe: We rejoice in meditation on all of this.

      ------------------------------

      Sugandhim: Means fragrance. Like a spreading fragrance, all of this
      permeates the whole of existence, while at the same time being that
      existence

      Pushtivardhanam: Means that which sustains and nourishes all. Thus,
      the fragrance that permeates all is the sustainer of all beings,
      while also the essence of all beings.

      ------------------------------

      Urvarukamiva: Urva means big and powerful. Arukam means disease, like
      the spiritual diseases of ignorance and untruth, which are like the
      death of Wisdom or Truth.

      Bandhanan: Means bound down, as in bound down to the ignorance and
      untruth.

      Mrityor: Means ignorance and untruth.

      Mukshiya: Means liberation from the cycles of physical, mental, and
      spiritual death.

      Maamritat: Means please give me rejuvenating nectar, so as to have
      this liberation, like the process of severing the cucumber from the
      creeping vine.