Atma-Shatakam, The Song of the Self, by Adi Shankara

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2007
      From:
      http://www.swamij.com/atma-shatakam.htm

      ATMA-SHATAKAM
      THE SONG OF THE SELF
      Adi Shankara

      The great Adi Shankara (first Shankaracharya) of the eighth century
      summarized the entirety of Advaita Vedanta (non-dualistic philosophy)
      in six stanzas. When a young boy of eight, while wandering in the
      Himalayas, seeking to find his guru, he encountered a sage who asked
      him, "Who are you?" The boy answered with these stanzas, which are
      known as "Nirvana Shatakam" or "Atma Shatakam." "Nirvana" is complete
      equanimity, peace, tranquility, freedom and joy. "Atma" is the True
      Self. The sage the boy was talking to was Swami Govindapada Acharya,
      who was, indeed, the teacher he was looking for.

      I am not mind, nor intellect, nor ego,
      nor the reflections of inner self (chitta).
      I am not the five senses.
      I am beyond that.
      I am not the ether, nor the earth,
      nor the fire, nor the wind (the five elements).
      I am indeed,
      That eternal knowing and bliss, Shiva,
      love and pure consciousness.

      Neither can I be termed as energy (prana),
      nor five types of breath (vayus),
      nor the seven material essences,
      nor the five coverings (pancha-kosha).
      Neither am I the five instruments of elimination,
      procreation, motion, grasping, or speaking.
      I am indeed,
      That eternal knowing and bliss, Shiva,
      love and pure consciousness.

      I have no hatred or dislike,
      nor affiliation or liking,
      nor greed,
      nor delusion,
      nor pride or haughtiness,
      nor feelings of envy or jealousy.
      I have no duty (dharma),
      nor any money,
      nor any desire (kama),
      nor even liberation (moksha).
      I am indeed,
      That eternal knowing and bliss, Shiva,
      love and pure consciousness.

      I have neither merit (virtue),
      nor demerit (vice).
      I do not commit sins or good deeds,
      nor have happiness or sorrow,
      pain or pleasure.
      I do not need mantras, holy places,
      scriptures (Vedas), rituals or sacrifices (yagnas).
      I am none of the triad of
      the observer or one who experiences,
      the process of observing or experiencing,
      or any object being observed or experienced.
      I am indeed,
      That eternal knowing and bliss, Shiva,
      love and pure consciousness.

      I do not have fear of death,
      as I do not have death.
      I have no separation from my true self,
      no doubt about my existence,
      nor have I discrimination on the basis of birth.
      I have no father or mother,
      nor did I have a birth.
      I am not the relative,
      nor the friend,