Stranger or daddy is all about yoga

  • swamijb
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2001
      ************************
      Swami J's Newsletter
      ************************

      December 10, 2001

      Dear Friends,

      All the differences in the outside world are the outcome of your
      mental modifications. For example, imagine you have not seen your
      father since your birth and he returns when you are ten years old. He
      knocks at your door. Opening it, you see a strange face. You run to
      your mama saying, "Mama, there's a stranger at the door." Your mama
      comes and sees her long-lost husband. With all joy she receives him
      and introduces him as your father. You say, "Oh, my Daddy!" A few
      minutes before, he was a stranger; now he has become your daddy. Did
      he change into your daddy? No, he is the same person. You created the
      idea of "stranger," then changed it to "Daddy;" that's all.

      The entire outside world is based on your thoughts and mental
      attitude. The entire world is your own projection. Your values may
      change within a fraction of a second. Today you may not even want to
      see the one who was your sweet honey yesterday. If we remember that,
      we won't put so much stress on outward things.

      That is why Yoga does not bother much about changing the outside
      world. There is a Sanskrit saying, "Mana eva manushyanam karanam
      bandha mokshayoho." "As the mind, so the man; bondage or liberation
      are in your own mind." If you feel bound, you are bound. If you feel
      liberated, you are liberated. Things outside neither bind nor
      liberate you; only your attitude toward them does that. *

      * Swami Satchidananda, Commentary on the Yoga Sutras

      Guided meditation, December 13:
      24-Hour Retreat, December 15:
      http://www.geocities.com/swamijb/Calendar.htm