Peace and the Ancient Traveler - (Yoga Meditation Newsletter)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2007
      From: The Essence of Spiritual Life
      By Swami Rama
      ISBN 8190100491
      Reprinted with permission of the Publisher
      Copyright Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust

      Swami Rama

      Peace has perhaps never been experienced by the world. It is a narrow
      gulf, a gap between two wars. As long as two diverse principles exist
      in the universe, there can never be peace.

      Peace is only an ambition, a desire, and a thought of those who do
      not understand the diverse ways of the two principles in life and the
      universe. Sages, having understood the Reality, have attained a state
      of nonattachment and wisdom and remain unaffected by the turbulence
      of life.

      There is no other way for peace but to go to the deep silence where
      She resides in Her Majesty, full of peace.

      The Ancient Traveler:

      The most ancient traveler in the universe is love. It is love that
      travels from the unknown to the known, from eternity to eternity.

      Those who want to realize the greatest delight should realize
      themselves in others. This is the definition of true love.

      The spirit of love is boundless and emancipates our being from
      illusory bonds and superimpositions. It is unity that will lead us to
      Truth. That which is the beginning and the end of the phenomenal
      world is divine.

      Loving somebody does not mean hating others. Remember this. If you
      love somebody, that means loving all. Your love should travel toward
      expansion, not toward contraction.

      Learn to love others and demonstrate your love through selfless
      action. This is very important. Try not to hurt others through
      speech. Dark words have no capacity to contain real feeling and love,
      for they are not containers. Love is immortal and needs an immortal
      container. People say that it is expressed through the heart;
      therefore, the heart is the center of love. I deny that. The soul,
      actually, is the real container of love, for the soul alone is the
      most ancient traveler, and so is love. They are one and the same.

      There are two types of love: one can be expressed, and one can never
      be expressed or explained. Anything that can be explained is not deep
      love. Though we all try to express it in a million ways, it is in

      There is only one Reality without second, without any space, time, or
      causation. We call it love.

      You talk of love. You always aspire to have love. You always want to
      be loved. If you really want to know what love is, there are two
      phrases: as life is to live, love is to give.

      Usually love is mingled with selfishness. I need something, so I
      say, "I love you." You need something, so you say you love me. This
      is what we call love in the world. Real love is when you do actions
      selflessly and spontaneously, and you don't expect any reward.

      Reverence is the first rung on the ladder of love.

      Love is not mere contemplation of the truth, but suffering for it.
      Suffering is not punishment, but a reward and a gift of love. The
      reward is received when you are no more there.

      May we light the fire of love that burns out the ego and enables us
      to pass from fearful fragmentation to fearless fullness in the
      changeless whole.

      God bless you. God loves you, I love you, let you learn to love