Spirituality and When it Dawns - Swami Rama

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2007
      http://www.swamij.com/swami-rama-spirituality-dawns.htm
      From The Essence of Spiritual Life
      By Swami Rama
      ISBN 8188157015
      Reprinted with permission of the Publisher
      Copyright Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust
      http://hihtindia.org/
      Swami Rama Foundation
      http://www.swamiramafoundation.us/

      SPIRITUALITY AND WHEN IT DAWNS
      Swami Rama

      It is not necessary to retire to a monastery to lead a spiritual
      life. We cannot escape from our inherent longings or postpone our
      utmost needs. In addition to the primitive urges for food, sex,
      sleep, and self-preservation, there is a higher urge to merge with
      God. We cannot be at peace unless that inherent divine urge is
      fulfilled.

      We all want to experience the all-pervading, omnipresent God from
      which the entire universe, as well as each individual, has evolved.
      Direct experience of the truth that each of us originates from God,
      and ultimately will return to God, makes us secure, happy, and
      strong.

      Today millions of educated men and women are suffering from a lack of
      purpose. Lacking also in self-confidence, young girls and boys have
      become victims of dissatisfaction and frustration. Along with a
      worldly education, we must provide some spiritual education.

      Human beings have done research on three levels so far on mind,
      energy, and matter. Yet we have not found out a way to live in peace,
      to attain happiness that is free from all problems, pains, and
      miseries. We study this "ism," and that "ism." We go to this church
      and that temple. We seek advice from this swami and that other yogi.
      Yet, we have not found the way.

      The whole confusion lies in the fact that we do not understand
      ourselves, and yet we introduce ourselves to others. We are strangers
      to ourselves yet we get married, have children, have homes, and claim
      to love others.

      That training that helps us to attain a state of happiness free from
      pains and miseries, is missing from our daily life. Nobody teaches us
      how to look within, how to find within, how to verify within.

      We are taught to know and see things in the external world, but this
      inner training and knowledge is missing. When we graduate with flying
      colors from colleges and universities, we find that we are still
      unsatisfied. The big questions about life still remain questions:

      Who am I? From where have I come? What is the purpose of life? Where
      will I go from here?

      Modern education helps us to understand and to be successful in the
      external world, the world of means. It doesn't help us to know
      ourselves.

      To know yourself, you don't have to go anywhere. If you want to know
      yourself, you have to follow the path from the grossest to the
      subtle, then to the subtler, and finally, to the subtlest aspects of
      your life. You have to search for yourself, because religions do not
      fulfill this need.

      I am not telling you not to follow your religion, or not to believe
      and trust in your religion. Often religions do not answer certain
      vital questions of life. Religions tell you what to do and what not
      to do, but religions do not tell you how to be.

      No matter how many temples and churches we build, nothing is going to
      happen unless we accept one principle—that the greatest of all
      churches and temples is the living human being.

      The scriptures say:

      "The greatest of shrines is the human body. Look within and find
      within. There His Majesty dwells in the inner recesses, in the inner
      chamber of your being."

      The day you come to know this, you will be happy. To believe in God
      is not a bad thing. It is a very good thing, because at least you
      have faith; but you should not forget that God is within you.

      As a part of our educational training, we must define spirituality in
      its most precise and universal terms. Spirituality means that which
      helps us discipline our thoughts, speech, and actions, that which
      leads us toward the center of consciousness, and thereby unfolds our
      inner potentials.

      Education based on such spiritual guidelines will help humanity to
      become self-reliant, confident, and active in the external world. At
      the same time, it will enable humanity to broaden its world view, and
      to become inward to search for the perennial Truth. Only a
      spiritually based education can bring harmonious balance to our
      external and inner lives.

      Knowledge of theories that prove the existence of God is not as
      important as learning to discipline oneself, so that God can be
      experienced directly. Children should be taught how to sit quietly
      and make their minds one-pointed. Through their calm and one-pointed
      minds, children can obtain a glimpse of true peace and happiness. We
      need not force them to believe that there is a God; however, we
      should provide them with the opportunity to unfold their inner
      potentials, gain confidence, and become inspired to search for God,
      according to their own inner tendencies and backgrounds. Children
      need to cultivate divine virtues within themselves.

      That which is purely physical has its limits, like the shell of an
      egg. Spirituality has infinite horizons and limitless freedom. It is
      full of knowledge and perennial light, life, and delight. When one is
      completely detached, one realizes oneself in a wider and deeper
      relationship with the Universal Being.

      When ego becomes aware of something that is higher than ego—the
      individual spirit, or soul—then spirituality dawns.

      Spirituality dawns when individuality vanishes.

      http://www.swamij.com