Swami Rama University - Dehradun, India

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2007

      June 7, 2007

      We are happy to share this good news with you that the Government of
      India has granted us deemed university status. Now we will be known
      as Swami Rama University.

      Vijay Dhasmana
      Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust
      Dehradun, India

      "I have a great fire within me to build this great hospital which
      will serve people, particularly poor people. The people of the
      mountains of Kumaon and Garhwal regions are very poor. Hospitals are
      far away and people die before they reach the hospital. I want to
      give them all the modern amenities and facilities so that they don't
      have to rush to Bombay, Delhi, or Chandigarh." ---- H.H.Dr.Swami Rama

      The Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust opened in 1994 with 250 beds
      and currently has 750 beds with plans for further expansion upto
      2,000 beds.The hospital is serving approximately 10 million poor and
      needy people of Garhwal, Kumaon and adjoining areas. The Himalayan
      Institute Hospital offers various services previously not locally
      available in this entire region of Garhwal Himalayas.

      The site of the HIHT Medical City is in Uttaranchal. The state has
      scattered villages in the mountains where facilities of Health,
      Education, Water, Transport & Electricity are not available. It is
      also among the poorest regions in terms of medical resources and
      among the most needy in terms of high infant mortality and shortened
      lifespan. It also has the largest number of people living in poverty.
      The Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust was created to help address
      these serious needs.

      The mission of the Institute is to develop integrated and cost-
      effective approaches to health care and development that address the
      local population, and which can serve as a model for the country as a
      whole, and for the under served population worldwide. A combined
      approach in which traditional systems of health care complement
      modern medicine and advanced technology is the prime focus of
      clinical care, medical education, and research at HIHT.

      The Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust has been conceived, designed,
      and orchestrated by Sri Swami Rama, a yogi, scientist, researcher,
      writer, and humanitarian, who was born in northern India.
      Throughout his entire life, whether with individual students or
      entire communities, Swamiji gave and gave without expecting anything
      in return. He worked day and night teaching students, writing books,
      and building institutions. In his writings and personal teachings, he
      always encouraged readers and listeners to develop their capacity for
      selfless service and to devote themselves to the well - being of
      their communities, nations, and all of humanity.