Yoga Meditation, Computers and Electricity

    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2007
      Yoga Meditation, Computers and Electricity
      From:
      http://www.swamij.com/computers-consciousness.htm

      I AM THE ELECTRICITY
      Swami Jnaneshvara

      I am not the picture on my computer monitor;
      I am electricity.

      I am not the processing in my microchip;
      I am electricity.

      I am not the data on my hard drive;
      I am electricity.

      I am electricity;
      I am the life in all of these others.

      A MODEL FOR MEDITATION:

      The computer can be used as a modern metaphor for understanding the
      process of Yoga meditation and the levels of consciousness through
      which one journeys. By understanding these levels or stages, it is
      much easier to understand how meditation is not used merely as a
      means of relaxation or psychic experience, but as the means for the
      realization of the ever pure, ever joyful core of our being, by
      whatever name you choose to call that center.

      1) PERIPHERALS/CONSCIOUS:

      The ten senses and means of expression (indriyas), along with the
      conscious mind, allow the inner person to communicate and act in the
      external world, like the peripherals of a computer system, including
      monitor, keyboard, speakers, and microphone.

      Four functions of mind: Throughout the conscious, unconscious, and
      subconscious levels, the four functions of mind operate ever subtler,
      until even they are transcended in the fourth stage, noted below.

      2) MICROCHIP/UNCONSCIOUS:

      The active unconscious mind processes mostly out of view, with only a
      small part of its functioning normally coming to the surface of the
      conscious mind, like the microchip of the computer, which does a
      tremendous amount of processing, yet presents only a tiny amount of
      that to the peripherals.

      3) HARD-DRIVE/SUBCONSCIOUS:

      It is consciousness flowing in or through the deep impressions of the
      latent subconscious, which causes them to stir, just like the
      otherwise inert binary numbers resident on a hard-drive, which do
      nothing until they are energetically brought to life and spring forth
      into the microchip.

      4) ELECTRICITY/CONSCIOUSNESS:

      The conscious, unconscious, and subconscious levels of mind all
      function because of the flow of consciousness, energy, or life force,
      just as the peripherals, microchip, and hard-drive all operate
      because of the electricity. Both the consciousness and the
      electricity are uniform, regardless of what programs might be running
      in the moment.

      I am not the peripherals!: One explores the peripherals, the waking
      state, the conscious mind, and the gross world, moving through them
      in meditation.

      I am not the microprocessor!: One explores the microprocessor, the
      dreaming state, the unconscious mind, and the subtle plane, moving
      through them in meditation.

      I am not the hard-drive!: One explores the hard-drive, the deep sleep
      state, the subconscious mind, and the causal plane, moving through
      them in meditation.

      I am the electricity!: Through deep meditation, one pierces the three
      layers described above. Ultimately, one comes to resolve the
      question, "Who am I?" in direct experience, with the realization of
      being the pure consciousness, energy, or life force that is beyond,
      higher, or underneath each of the other three levels, stages, or
      states, which is the core of our being.