Yoga Nidra Meditation CD Recommended for Insomnia

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2007

      Chicago Tribune writer Julie Deardorff recommends the Yoga Nidra CD
      of Swami Jnaneshvara for dealing with insomnia (point #2 of 3 in her
      article below).

      From Chicago Tribune article:

      By Julie Deardorff
      Chicago Tribune
      March 7, 2007

      Working mothers trying to "do it all" have the most serious episodes
      of insomnia, while stay-at-home moms are most likely to sleep poorly,
      according to the National Sleep Foundation's 2007 Sleep in America

      The main culprits are young children, biological changes like
      pregnancy and menopause, stress and pets.

      I had my first extended bout with insomnia during what should have
      been a triumphant period of motherhood: right when my oldest child
      started sleeping through the night. Now, with a 3-month old and a
      toddler, I don't even try to get sleep. And I don't worry when I
      still haven't fallen asleep by 2 a.m. and I've just calculated that
      the most sleep I can get is four hours.

      Instead, I do damage control the following day.

      Here's how.

      1. Exercise.

      Exercise is one of the first things to go when women have too much in
      their day, the study showed, but I use it for a short-term jolt, like

      Normally, I get on the treadmill, do a slow, warm-up mile and then
      punish myself for about 15 minutes with either speed or hills. The
      only requirement is that I break a sweat. Then I run easy for a cool-
      down mile.

      Unfortunately, you'll have to try this at your own risk. When I began
      looking at research on this, it showed that exercise can actually
      make you feel worse when you're sleep deprived and can be dangerous.
      Your coordination goes when you're tired and you actually fall off of
      the treadmill. Also, if your body doesn't have time to repair during
      sleep, you're more likely to get injured.

      Still, it's how I've been able to work full time despite getting up
      at least two times a night to nurse. After an intense workout, my
      head clears and I can focus and get through the day.

      2. Yoga Nidra

      Yoga Nidra means "Yogic Sleep" and it's considered a state of
      conscious deep sleep. But it's not meditation, which leaves you in
      the waking state of consciousness, says Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati,
      who produced the audio CD "Yoga Nidra Meditation CD: Extreme
      Relaxation of Conscious Deep Sleep."

      Instead, during Yoga Nidra, you "leave the waking state, go past the
      dreaming state and enter into deep sleep, all while remaining fully
      alert and awake," Bharti says. Reaching this state of awareness is
      easier said than done, of course. To this day, I haven't been able to
      stay awake through an entire Yoga Nidra CD, which can last between 20
      and 60 minutes.

      To do it, lie on your back as if in shavasana or corpse pose, with
      your eyes closed and your palms facing up. If you've got Bhrarti's
      verbal CD--there's no music--he'll tell you to focus your awareness
      on 61 points within the body. For example, he'll tell you to bring
      your attention to your left hand, your pinky finger, your ring
      finger, your middle finger, your index finger and your thumb. The
      entire body is scanned in this way until the heart center is reached.

      Some swear the process can replace sleep. Others with insomnia use it
      to help them relax so they can go to sleep.

      3. Caffeine

      The old standby works because it blocks a certain receptor in the
      brain that releases a neurotransmitter called adenosine. Adenosine
      makes us sleepy and if the release of it is prevented, you won't feel
      quite as tired.

      The trick is to avoid using caffeine every day. Only people who avoid
      it for a while feel a buzz , according to a University of Bristol
      study presented to the British Nutrition Foundation Conference.

      "We do feel a boost from caffeine in the morning, but that's probably
      due to a reversal of the withdrawal symptoms," researcher Peter
      Rogers, a biological psychologist told the BBC. "That alertness you
      feel is you getting back to normal, rather than to an above normal