How is one to reach knowledge, liberation, and dispassion?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2007

      Excerpted from Ashtavakra Gita

      How is one to acquire knowledge? How is one to attain liberation? And
      how is one to reach dispassion? Tell me this, sir. 1.1

      If you are seeking liberation, my son, avoid the objects of the
      senses like poison and cultivate tolerance, sincerity, compassion,
      contentment, and truthfulness as the antidote. 1.2

      You do not consist of any of the elements -- earth, water, fire, air,
      or even ether. To be liberated, know yourself as consisting of
      consciousness, the witness of these. 1.3

      If only you will remain resting in consciousness, seeing yourself as
      distinct from the body, then even now you will become happy, peaceful
      and free from bonds. 1.4

      You do not belong to the brahmin or any other caste, you are not at
      any stage, nor are you anything that the eye can see. You are
      unattached and formless, the witness of everything -- so be happy. 1.5

      Righteousness and unrighteousness, pleasure and pain are purely of
      the mind and are no concern of yours. You are neither the doer nor
      the reaper of the consequences, so you are always free. 1.6

      You are the one witness of everything and are always completely free.
      The cause of your bondage is that you see the witness as something
      other than this. 1.7

      Since you have been bitten by the black snake, the opinion about
      yourself that "I am the doer," drink the antidote of faith in the
      fact that "I am not the doer," and be happy. 1.8

      Burn down the forest of ignorance with the fire of the understanding
      that "I am the one pure awareness," and be happy and free from
      distress. 1.9

      That in which all this appears is imagined like the snake in a rope;
      that joy, supreme joy, and awareness is what you are, so be happy.

      If one thinks of oneself as free, one is free, and if one thinks of
      oneself as bound, one is bound. Here this saying is true, "Thinking
      makes it so." 1.11

      Your real nature is as the one perfect, free, and actionless
      consciousness, the all-pervading witness -- unattached to anything,
      desireless and at peace. It is from illusion that you seem to be
      involved in samsara. 1.12

      Meditate on yourself as motionless awareness, free from any dualism,
      giving up the mistaken idea that you are just a derivative
      consciousness or anything external or internal. 1.13

      You have long been trapped in the snare of identification with the
      body. Sever it with the knife of knowledge that "I am awareness," and
      be happy, my son. 1.14

      You are really unbound and actionless, self-illuminating and spotless
      already. The cause of your bondage is that you are still resorting to
      stilling the mind. 1.15

      All of this is really filled by you and strung out in you, for what
      you consist of is pure awareness -- so don't be small-minded. 1.16

      You are unconditioned and changeless, formless and immovable,
      unfathomable awareness, unperturbable: so hold to nothing but
      consciousness. 1.17

      Recognise that the apparent is unreal, while the unmanifest is
      abiding. Through this initiation into truth you will escape falling
      into unreality again. 1.18

      Just as a mirror exists everywhere both within and apart from its
      reflected images, so the Supreme Lord exists everywhere within and
      apart from this body. 1.19

      Just as one and the same all-pervading space exists within and
      without a jar, so the eternal, everlasting God exists in the totality
      of things. 1.20