Who's driving your chariot?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25 8:24 AM
      From:
      http://www.swamij.com/chariot.htm
      Audio Podcast:
      http://www.swamij.com/podcast.htm
      http://www.swamij.com/podcast/060825-chariot-swami-j.mp3

      WHO'S DRIVING YOUR CHARIOT?
      Swami Jnaneshvara

      The chariot is used by the ancient sages as a symbol for how to train
      your mind and senses. Though most of us do not use horse drawn
      chariots, the lesson is as practical today as it was thousands of
      years ago. Allow your mind to visualize this image, and it will
      become a wonderful tool in your daily spiritual life.

      ROADS: The many roads down which the chariot may travel are the
      countless objects of desire in the world and our memory.

      HORSES: The ten horses are the ten senses (indriyas) through which we
      relate to the external world by perception and action.
      http://www.swamij.com/indriyas.htm

      REINS: The reins are the mind (manas) through which the senses
      receive their instructions to act and perceive.
      http://www.swamij.com/fourfunctionsmind.htm#manas

      CHARIOTEER: The charioteer is the higher intellect (buddhi), which is
      supposed to be the wise giver of instructions to the mind.
      http://www.swamij.com/fourfunctionsmind.htm#buddhi

      PASSENGER: The passenger is the Self, the Atman, the pure center of
      consciousness, which is always the neutral witness.
      http://www.swamij.com/koshas.htm

      CHARIOT: The chariot itself is the physical body, the instrument
      through which the Self, intellect, mind, and senses operate.

      WHO'S DRIVING YOUR CHARIOT?

      For many of us, much of the time, the charioteer is not on duty. The
      reins called mind are flapping around freely without the proper
      guidance of our inner wisdom. When the reins are free, they give no
      instructions to the horses called senses. The horses (senses) roam
      freely down any road they feel pulled towards in the moment, in
      response to their memories of the past (chitta). The chariot (body)
      takes a beating, the horses (senses) get tired, the reins (mind) get
      frayed, and the charioteer (intelligence) gets lazy. The passenger is
      completely ignored.

      PUT THE CHARIOTEER BACK ON THE JOB

      The solution to the problem is to retrain the charioteer
      (intelligence) to pick up the reins (mind) and start giving some
      direction to the horses (senses). This training is called sadhana, or
      spiritual practices. It means training all of the levels of ourselves
      so that we might experience the still, silent, eternal center.

      ALLOW THE CHARIOTEER TO SERVE THE PASSENGER

      As the charioteer (intelligence) becomes more stabilized in being
      back on the job, there is an ever increasing awareness of the fact
      the the entire purpose of the chariot, horses, reins, and charioteer,
      are to serve as instruments for the passenger, the true Self.

      SEE ALSO:

      Coordinating the Four Functions of Mind:
      http://www.swamij.com/fourfunctionsmind.htm

      Training the Ten Senses or Indriyas:
      http://www.swamij.com/indriyas.htm

      Self, Five Koshas or Sheaths: