The Path of Unfoldment - Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4 10:16 AM
      From Merging with Shiva
      by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

      THE PATH OF UNFOLDMENT

      Meditate on man being like a lotus flower. He comes through the mud,
      his instinctive mind, and he's aware of the things of the instinctive
      mind: hate and greed and love and passion, and jealousy and sorrow,
      and happiness and joy and excitement. He comes into the intellectual
      mind. He becomes aware of ancient history and predictions about the
      future, politics, all sorts of systems, all sorts of organizations,
      institutions and opinions of other people. And this consumes and
      overshadows the soul, life after life after life, just as the desires
      and cravings of the instinctive mind overshadow the soul life after
      life after life after life.

      But all this time, the body of the soul is growing up. It's getting
      stronger. It's absorbing the reactions of each lifetime, drawing more
      energies from the central source of energy to build up and absorb
      these reactions; and this is food for the soul.

      Then finally awareness comes into its bud state. It says, "Here I am,
      a bud, and I'm out of the mud, and I'm out of the water." We'll look
      at the mud as being the instinct, we'll look at the water as being
      the intellect and we'll look at the air as superconsciousness. "Now I
      want to unfold and be of service to mankind and everyone else who is
      unfolding, I see them all down in the mud, caught in the mud like I
      was at one time. I want to help them out of the mud. Then I see
      hundreds of people caught in the intellect. They're all in the water.
      They think they're a stem, but I know I'm a bud."

      Then begins the process on the path of enlightenment for this bud
      unfolding and awareness expanding. First it becomes aware of the
      inner processes of the body and how breath controls thought. Then it
      becomes aware of the inner processes of the mind, how light moves
      through the body, how the mind of light begins to work, and it goes
      on unfolding and unfolding and unfolding through the ages.

      If we look at the past as a catalog and the future as a planning
      book, and now as the only reality of time, we have dodged the past
      and we have dodged the future, because we have brought them both into
      the eternity of the moment. The mystic on the path of unfoldment
      doesn't allow his awareness to go into the past and flow through all
      the yesterdays and relive in his mind what formerly happened to him
      physically. The mystic doesn't go into the future and live
      emotionally experiences that may or may not happen to him. The mystic
      remains in the present, right now, using the catalog of the
      experiences of the past and a planning book for his future. This
      makes him wise, for intellect when it is correctly used at the right
      time is wisdom.

      Holding the eternity-of-the-moment feeling and the feeling of the
      being within that has never changed, finally you don't even say it's
      a being within. That in itself is duality. You just identify it as
      you, an immortal being who's lived for thousands of years, which
      never changes except it unfolds more, and it lives now. The past and
      the future are only intellectual concepts that we live with and have
      been developed by man himself in that particular area of the mind.