The Space Within the Heart

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2006
      From the book:
      Vedantic Meditation
      By David Frawley

      THE SPACE WITHIN THE HEART

      There is a space within ourselves, the space within the heart. It is
      not a physical space but the space of consciousness itself, the very
      presence of the Divine. We seldom dwell in this inner space, except
      in deep sleep, when we return to it unconsciously for rest and
      renewal.

      If we look inside our minds we see emptiness. Most of us fear this
      emptiness within. We do not like to be alone because we must face
      this internal emptiness that brings into question our entire
      existence. We are used to looking and relating externally. We find
      that to be alone is to be no one, to be unrelated, to have no
      stimulation and no importance. We flee that inner space and run into
      outer sensation and involvement. We fill ourselves with the things of
      the world or occupy ourselves with the things of the mind. This makes
      our inner space appear frightful. We dread it, as if it were a great
      suffering or darkness.

      But the space within the heart is the most marvelous of all things.
      The space within the heart contains everything. The entire universe
      is there, all time and space, and all creation. Past, present and
      future are there. All our memories, the memories of all things, and
      all that we could become rest in perfect harmony within it. The
      fulfillment of all wishes is there. There to see is to be and to be
      everything and always. All worlds and all creatures dwell in that
      inner space, woven into a lotus, from the infinitesimal to the
      infinite. The key to the fulfillment of all wishes is not to pursue
      them externally but to look for their essence in that space within.

      That inner space is full of light like a thousand rising suns. It
      contains the inner Sun of pure consciousness, of which the outer sun
      is but a reflection. It holds the inextinguishable flame of our own
      being, the soul's awareness that persists throughout all our
      incarnations. In our souls we all dwell around that inner fire like
      children around their mother, the flame providing nourishment to all.
      There the original life-force abides that gives vitality and hope to
      all creatures.

      Life dwells in the space within the heart, not merely our personal
      life, but all life throbbing, pulsating and vibrating everywhere. Our
      true Self dwells in the space within the heart, ever at peace, far
      removed from all the worries of the mind and all the strife of the
      ego. The space within the heart is our true home, in which we can let
      everything go, including our body and our identity, and become
      completely free.

      This heart space is like a great ocean, and all the universes are but
      its waves. A special music comes forth from it, the primordial sound
      that creates the worlds. It contains the highest stage of speech, the
      supreme silence which is the revelation I-am-that-I-am. It is the
      origin and support of all mantras, where all mantras become one and
      universal. There we contact the voice of the original teacher or
      guru, who is the source of all genuine guidance and all true
      scriptures, the very word of God. There we discover our true ancestry
      and lineage, the sages and seers who have helped humanity from time
      immemorial. There we contact the supreme Beloved, the Divine Father
      and Mother, whom we all seek for grace. The heart space is the heaven
      of all true devotion, beyond all form, division and limitation, where
      all the Gods and Goddesses become one.

      Those who do not know the space within the heart have missed the most
      important thing in life. They have condemned themselves to be ever
      seeking and striving and never come to rest. Because we are afraid of
      being nothing, we must ever struggle to become something. We fall
      from spirit, which is immaterial, into matter, which being formed is
      mortal, limited and uncertain. We lose our inner space and become an
      outer thing, a mere body or person confined within a few feet of
      flesh. We give up our light and become a shadow of what other people
      think.

      True meditation is returning to the space within the heart. It
      consists of withdrawing and immersing the mind in the inner heart
      space, in which the mind gets lost and loses itself like a drop
      within the sea. This requires that we sink deep inside ourselves,
      merging everything within the core of our being.

      Yet while easy to understand conceptually and not difficult to feel
      emotionally, a complete merging into the inner space is not easy.
      Though the most direct it is also the most difficult of all practices
      and the fruit of all. Few advanced yogis are able to accomplish it,
      even after years of practice. To move into the spiritual heart
      requires that we withdraw our entire attention from the field of the
      senses, directing all of our energy within. A tremendous fire of
      spiritual practice is necessary to get there. It requires an inward
      death and transfiguration even while the body is alive. To really
      fully return to the spiritual heart requires the consummate
      energization of our entire life and consciousness. Yet any contact
      with the spiritual heart, however minor, must sow the seeds of its
      eventual realization.

      To open that space within we must release the knots of fear and
      desire that bind us to the outer world. We must let go of all the
      stress and tension that we create around ourselves trying to sustain
      a personal life or promote a personal identity. Space is our true
      nature. We must open our hearts to the inner space of pure awareness.
      That is the ultimate goal of all life, the beginning and end of
      everything, of which all that we know is but a shadow.