The Immortal Body of the Soul

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      From Merging with Shiva
      by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

      THE IMMORTAL BODY OF THE SOUL

      As soon as we start on the path to enlightenment, we begin to wonder
      about our own personal life, and that becomes very important to us,
      even to the point where sometimes it could make an aspirant rather
      selfish, because he becomes more interested in himself, his own
      personal life, than people around him.

      This is one of the things on the path that really should be avoided,
      and again a complete change of perspective is needed. We have to
      change our perspective and begin to realize that beautiful body of
      the soul which has been growing through the many, many lifetimes that
      we have spent on the Earth. It's an indestructible body, and each
      lifetime it grows a little bit stronger in its inner nerve system.
      That is called the soul, or the psyche.

      This body has been in existence for some thousand years or more on
      this planet, through the reincarnation process, and it is rather
      mature when the individual asks for the realization of the Self. It
      has lived so many lifetimes and gone through so many different
      experiences that in its maturity it wants its last experience on this
      Earth, that of Self Realization.

      So, therefore, our individual existence, our individual life, should
      be identified with the immortal body, not with the physical body, not
      with the emotional body, not with the intellectual body, not with the
      astral body, which of course, is the instinctive-intellectual body,
      but with the body of the soul that has come along and had one body
      after another. It's come along on the physical plane and had a
      physical body. Then it was overshadowed by an astral body. Then it
      was overshadowed by another physical body. Then it was overshadowed
      by an astral body. Then it was overshadowed by a physical body. And
      the layers went onto the body of the soul -- the instinctive, the
      intellectual, the physical. And now, in its maturity, the layers are
      coming off again.

      We drop off the intellect. We drop off the instinctive actions and
      reactions. The only thing we want to keep is the physical body and
      the body of the soul. And that is the path that we are on. And when
      this begins to happen, when the beautiful, refined body of light and
      the physical body merge as one, we see light all the way through the
      physical body, right into the feet, into the hands, through the head,
      through the torso, through the spine. We're just walking in a sea of
      light.

      This inner light is so beautiful. All day long my head has been
      filled with light. It feels that if I were to reach up and put both
      hands around the top of my head, there wouldn't be a head there. It
      feels like there is nothing there. It just goes on and on and on into
      endless space, as I look back up within the head. When I look into
      the back of my neck, I see an array of, they look like, wires, and
      these, of course, are the nerve currents that run through the spinal
      cord. They're all bright and active and scintillating, drawing energy
      from the central source of energy. And, of course, if you looked into
      the central source of energy, what would you see? You would see light
      coming out of nothing. That's what it looks like, light coming out of
      nothing.

      http://swamij.com