Expressing your speech and actions with effortless concentration

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2005
      Just as profound knowledge of what to do is essential, so having a
      one-pointed mind is equally essential. The modern student tends to
      know intellectually but does not make sincere efforts to develop one-
      pointedness of mind. Thus he remains scattered and all his actions
      result in disappointment. For lack of a one-pointed mind, the modern
      student jumps from one path to another because he does not understand
      that it is his scattered mind that is creating barriers for him. He
      thinks the barriers are outside. Assuming that another path or goal
      will be better is trickery played by the mind. One already knows what
      is right, but he does not know how to put it into practice. In
      childhood the fundamentals of all great truths are taught to us. Then
      we spend energy in trying to apply those truths, but we fail. We do
      not realize that with systematic practice we can succeed. The key
      point of practice as well as success lies in one-pointedness of mind.

      Attention is the first step on the ladder to develop one-pointedness
      of mind. One must pay wholehearted attention to all of the things he
      does from morning until evening. The aspirant should also understand
      why he is acting in a particular way. Actions should not be performed
      as a reaction without understanding why one does them. The human mind
      is prone to be reactionary if it is not trained, and an untrained
      mind creates disorder, disease, and confusion. If one does something
      with full attention, he will increase his awareness and ability to
      perform his duty. If one forms the habit of attending fully to
      whatever he is doing, the mind will become trained, and eventually
      concentration will become effortless. It is a great quality for one
      to be able to express his knowledge through his speech and action
      with a one-pointed mind. Thousands of thoughts remain waiting to be
      entertained. The purpose of sadhana is to attend to those thoughts in
      a systematic manner so that they do not create unrest in the inner
      world.

      Perennial Psychology of the Bhagavad Gita
      Swami Rama

      http://swamij.com