Pain and Pleasure; Windows and Roofs

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2005
      Pain and pleasure are two opposites that we experience in daily life,
      but they are relative terms. When one sees the horizon through the
      window, it appears very limited, but when one goes to the roof, he
      finds a vast horizon around him.

      In the same way, when one learns to expand his vision, the meaning of
      pain and pleasure also changes. Pain and pleasure are two concepts
      created by our mind and senses when they contact the objects of the
      world. But when the sense of discrimination is applied, they vanish
      because one's values change.

      Pain and pleasure change their values when one attains a higher
      dimension of life. One feels pain and pleasure according to his inner
      strength, endurance, tolerance, and purpose in life. One's experience
      of pain and pleasure is dependent on what is important to him. For
      example, a mother experiences pain when she gives birth to a baby,
      but she goes through that pain because she wants to accomplish
      something higher....

      In the modern world people become confused about what is right, and
      they are uncertain about which duties should be given the highest
      priority. The important is always important; therefore it should be
      attended to first even though it may seem to be painful. In
      performing one's duty one should learn to go beyond his
      identification with pleasure and pain, loss and gain, and all the
      pairs of opposites.

      Swami Rama
      Perennial Psychology of the Bhagavad Gita