Contemplation on seeing the beauty of unity in diversity

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2005
      Excerpted from the approximately 12 page article on Mahavakyas, or
      Great Contemplations:
      http://www.swamij.com/mahavakyas.htm

      Ekam evadvitiyam brahma
      Brahman (the Absolute) is one, without a second
      (There is one absolute reality, without any secondary parts)

      NO OBJECT IS TRULY INDEPENDENT: As our attention goes from object to
      object, image to image, we keep finding that those objects and images
      are only relatively real.... Gradually, we come to see that no object
      exists independently from brahman, the whole. Hence, it is said there
      is one, without a second. Wherever we look, whatever we think or
      feel, try as we will, we can find no second object or part.
      Everything is seen as a manifestation of something else.

      THE OBJECTS ARE MADE OF THE SAME STUFF: To speak of one, without a
      second, is like thinking of thousands of pots or bracelets made from
      clay or gold. As you look at each of the pots and bracelets, one at a
      time, you conclude that this pot, and this bracelet is not separate
      from the whole field of clay and gold. Suddenly you come to the
      insight that there is not a single pot that is separate from clay,
      and there is not a single bracelet separate from gold. In other
      words, you see that there is one field, without a second object, or
      simply stated, there is one, without a second....

      WHAT TO DO: Keep exploring the latter part of the sentence, the part
      of being without a second. Consciously look at the objects of the
      world, and the thoughts that arise in the mind. Observe whether it
      has independent existence and permanence. It is like asking, "Does
      this object or thought exist on its own? Does it stay in this form,
      or does it go away? Is it, therefore a second object in comparison to
      the whole?"

      TRY TO FIND A SECOND OBJECT: One practice is to repeatedly look for
      some second object, which has independent existence from the whole,
      from brahman.

      YOU'LL FIND THERE IS NONE: The aspirant will repeatedly find that
      there is no second object, which has independent existence, but that
      all objects derive from some other, like the pots from clay, or
      bracelets from gold. This brings the increasing awareness of
      underlying wholeness.

      SEE THE BEAUTY OF ONENESS IN DIVERSITY: If this is approached as a
      mere philosophical opinion, if we merely believe the principle, then
      the deep insight that comes from exploration will be missed. Each
      time that some new object or thought is seen to not be a second in
      relation to the whole, the personal realization of the truth of the
      principle will become deeper and more profound. We come to see the
      beauty in this, to see the joy of wholeness, of the unity within the
      diversity....