Diet and Meditation

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2005
      Excerpted from the approximately 4 page article:
      http://www.swamij.com/diet.htm

      Food and the four primitive urges: In Yoga, the desire for sustenance
      is one of the four primitive urges for food, sleep, sex, and self-
      preservation. Wise regulation of food and the other basic drives is
      an important part of a foundation for meditation.

      Food is for cells, not "me": This one principle alone will go a long
      way towards developing a frame of mind conducive to good diet. It can
      seem that food is for someone called "me," and that I want this or
      that, or that I need this or that. It is estimated that there are 10-
      50 trillion (10-50 million million) cells in the human body. The
      nutrients contained in food are for them. The food is not being taken
      in for the benefit of our personality identity. Maintaining a
      constant, though gentle awareness that, "Food is for cells, not me"
      will keep diet decisions in proper perspective.

      Change "I want" to "It wants": When we say, "I want this or that
      food," who is it that is making this statement? Even if we accept
      that food is for cells (above), we are still stuck with the fact that
      somebody inside is wanting to eat that food. Who is that? It is the
      thought pattern, the desire itself that is wanting to express itself
      through food consumption. This principle relates not only to food,
      but to all of the inner wants, wishes, desires, attractions or
      aversions. But here, we are talking about food. By recognizing that
      the desire itself, or "It" is wanting to eat or be fed, then we have
      another useful principle to keep in mind at all times. So, we see two
      companion principles, in that food is for the cells, and the desire
      stands alone, as its own motivator.

      For more info on Diet and Meditation:
      http://www.swamij.com/diet.htm