Seven skills for meditation

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      Excerpted from the approximately 7 page article:
      http://www.swamij.com/sevenskills.htm

      Below are seven skills to cultivate for Meditation.
      It is the skill we want to learn, not merely techniques
      (though the techniques are quite useful). For example,
      we want to gain the ability to directly relax the
      body, smoothen the breath, and quiet the mind in a
      moment, with no technique needed to do it.

      1. How to relax the body:
      2. How to sit in a comfortable, steady, straight posture:
      3. How to make your breathing process serene:
      4. How to witness objects traveling in the train of mind:
      5. How to inspect the quality of thoughts:
      6. How to promote the thoughts that are helpful:
      7. How to not allow yourself to be disturbed in any situation:

      For further explanations of the seven skills:
      http://www.swamij.com/sevenskills.htm