Downloads of articles added to SwamiJ.com

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004

      Thanks to the help of one of my computer guides, Nimish Shah, there is
      now a section on the website for articles you can Download. Presently
      I have put 7 downloads there, ranging from 2 pages to 60 pages. These
      include a booklet on the teachings of Swami Rama, papers I have
      written, and some learning materials on the yoga sutras.

      Here is a link to the page on Downloads:

      The papers, which have been added so far are in pdf format, which you
      have probably already used before. If not, you can download Adobe
      Reader online at:

      Below are summaries of the 7 Downloads currently on the site. I hope
      you find one or more of them useful.

      Swami Rama Teachings booklet: This file is a booklet on teachings of
      Swami Rama. It was created by Swami Jnaneshvara in 1997 after having
      led six one-month residential training programs at Swami Rama's Ashram
      in Rishikesh, India, at the instruction of Swami Rama. (39 pages)

      The Path: This paper was written by Swami Jnaneshvara in 1997 as an
      aid to the Residential Program at Swami Rama's Ashram, Rishikesh,
      India. It was designed to help program participants better know what
      to look for when studying Swami Rama's descriptions of the path to
      enlightenment, which he continually said was easy and systematic, but
      that he also often said few understood or were doing. If one
      diligently pursues the wisdom Swami Rama has shared, maybe he or she
      can actually understand and do what he suggested for so many years.
      And maybe, just maybe, the aspirant will find that he has told the
      truth—that the path is both systematic and easy. (49 pages)

      Vedic Psychology for the Ills of Human Civilization: Paper presented
      at The Clash of Civilizations Symposium of the World Association of
      Vedic Studies Conference of 2004. The clash of civilizations begins
      with the clash of the contents of the individual mind. If we want to
      do something about the course of civilizations, it is imperative that
      we do something about the deep-seated clash of attractions, aversions,
      and fears, which lurk in the in the individual and collective
      unconscious. Modern psychology explores the mind and personality to
      improve upon who we are. The psychology of the ancient sages explores
      the mind and personality to discover who we are not, but have
      mistakenly come to believe we are. (8 pages)

      Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – Interpretive Translation: This is an
      interpretive translation of the Yoga Sutra, expanding the number of
      English words, so as to allow the practical instructions to be
      clearer. For example, sutra 1.2 defines Yoga with some 25 English
      words, rather than only 4 Sanskrit words. By providing expanded,
      interpretive translations, the practical meaning of the suggestions
      more easily comes through. The individual transliterated Sanskrit
      words also have a large number of English translations, so as to give
      a more thorough understanding. (60 pages)

      Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – Narrative Translation: The purpose of
      narrative translation is to make it easier to get an overview of the
      entire Yoga Sutra. By clustering the 196 Sutras together into 39
      groups, and presenting them in paragraph format, most readers can
      study this in a familiar way that is more like the many other books or
      papers we have studied. As you come to understand the Yoga Sutra in
      this way, your further studies of more detailed commentaries and
      Sanskrit translations might come more smoothly, especially when done
      in conjunction with oral guidance and personal practices of
      meditation. (12 pages)

      Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – Questions: These questions serve as an
      enjoyable way to review the principles and practices of the Yoga
      Sutras of Patanjali. Each question includes a reference to the Sutra
      that answers the question. The questions are designed to focus on the
      practical application of the teachings. This page can also be used
      effectively for group discussions. (5 pages)

      Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – Summary: This is a table, which
      all 196 of the Yoga Sutras in 39 clusters. It will print on two pages,
      which can be taped together, allowing you to view the entirety of the
      Yoga Sutras on a single page. (2 pages)