Yoga Nidra recommended in Yoga Journal

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2004
      The current issue (Sep/Oct 2004) of Yoga Journal
      magazine has an article on Yoga Nidra. It is
      entitled "In Need of Yoga Nidra," with the
      heading "In today's busy world, yogic sleep may be
      `the' essential tool for rejuvenation." Here's a
      copy of the article:
      http://www.swamij.com/yoganidrayogajournalsj.htm

      The author (Stephanie Levin-Gervasi) comments
      that in Yoga Nidra, "All traces of the day fade
      away, time stops, and stillness washes over me....
      Yoga Nidra is an ancient practice that is rapidly
      gaining popularity in the West. It is intended to
      induce full-body relaxation and a deep meditative
      state of consciousness.... The practitioner begins
      by quieting the overactive mind, then moves into
      a meditative state, gradually finding a state of
      'ultimate harmony,' in which the brain waves
      slow down and a subtle euphoria emerges."

      I commend the author for also noting that while
      the practice first brings relaxation and
      rejuvenation, it is actually a deeper practice.
      She explains that, "Though most practitioners
      don't slip easily into the more advanced stages,
      they still tend to emerge feeling rejuvenated."
      This is accurate and extremely well said by the
      author. She is not minimizing the practice by
      saying it is merely relaxation, and is not
      intimidating beginners by making them think it
      is too difficult or advanced. Start where you
      are, and the Yoga Nidra experience will expand
      with practice.

      As most of you probably know, I recently released
      a CD entitled "Yoga Nidra Meditation: Extreme
      Relaxation of Consciousness Deep Sleep". I am
      grateful to the author and Yoga Journal for
      recommending the CD in this article.