Another perspective on yoga in the mainstream

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12 8:05 AM
      There are many other perspectives on yoga in the mainstream. One of
      them is this paper from SwamiJ.com, entitled Modern Yoga versus
      Ancient Yoga:
      http://www.swamij.com/ancientyoga.htm

      It includes not only personal narrative, but also quotes from Swami
      Satyananda, Swami Rama, Swami Chidananda, Pandit Rajmani Tigunait,
      David Frawley, Georg Feuerstein, and Paramahansa Yogananda.

      The gist of the message is contained in the quote from Paramahansa
      Yogananda:

      "Yoga means union. Etymologically, it is connected to the English
      word, yoke. Yoga means union with God, or, union of the little, ego-
      self with the divine Self, the infinite Spirit. Most people in the
      West, and also many in India, confuse yoga with Hatha Yoga, the
      system of bodily postures.

      "But yoga is primarily a spiritual discipline. I don't mean to
      belittle the yoga postures. Hatha Yoga is a wonderful system. The
      body, moreover, is a part of our human nature, and must be kept fit
      lest it obstruct our spiritual efforts.

      "Devotees, however, who are bent on finding God give less importance
      to the yoga postures. Nor is it strictly necessary that they practice
      them. Hatha Yoga is the physical branch of Raja Yoga, the true
      science of yoga. Raja Yoga is a system of meditation techniques that
      help to harmonize human consciousness with the divine consciousness."