Keep it simple

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30 8:59 AM
      Sometimes sadhana or spiritual practices can seem very, very
      complicated. Mind generates more and more words. Discussions get
      started. Debates get started. Points and counter-points dance like the
      flurry of winds in a thunderstorm. These swirling thoughts of this
      versus that may be amongst many people, or in our own individual mind.
      Something gets lost, which is the utter simplicity of it all. There is
      a story that goes like this:

      Once upon a time, a student went to a great sage to ask about the
      meaning of life and how to attain the direct experience of the
      Highest.

      He asked his question, but the sage gave no answer. He just sat there.

      Again, the student asked about how to find and fulfill the Purpose of
      life. Again, the sage just sat there.

      The student tried different words, and appealed with great emotion.
      The sage just sat there, as before.

      Finally, the student became frustrated, and blurted out, in an angry
      tone, "Why don't you answer me!"

      The sage smiled, and said, "I have been answering you, but you were
      not listening. The answer you are looking for is to be found only in
      Silence."

      To sit in stillness and silence for even a few minutes each day is a
      very useful thing to do. Therein are answers such as "Aham Brahmasmi,"
      "Soham," "He or She and I are One," or "I am that I am."

      May you find that silence which leads to Silence, wherein all of the
      discussions, debates, points and counter-points come to rest, as if
      the storm over the ocean has passed, the waves of thoughts subsided,
      and the surface of that vast ocean be smooth as glass.

      Swami Jnaneshvara