Yoga Sutra 2.6: The colorings of I-ness or egoism

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2004
      Yoga Sutra 2.6: The colorings (klesha) of I-ness or egoism
      http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras/yoga-sutras-20109.htm#2.6
      (for more info)

      ---------------------------------------

      2.6 The colorings (klesha) of I-ness or egoism (asmita), which arises
      from the ignorance, occurs due to the mistake of taking the intellect
      (buddhi, which knows, decides, judges, and discriminates) to itself be
      pure consciousness (purusha/drig).

      ---------------------------------------

      FINEST FORM OF INDIVIDUALITY: Asmita is the finest form of
      individuality. It is not I-am-ness, as when we say, "I am a man or
      woman," or "I am a person from this or that country." Rather, it is
      I-ness that has not taken on any of those identities.

      MISTAKE OF THINKING IT IS ABOUT ME: However, when we see I-ness or
      Asmita as a coloring, a klesha, we are seeing that a kind of mistake
      has been made. The mistake is that the thought pattern of the object
      is falsely associated with I-ness (Asmita), and thus we say that the
      thought pattern is a klishta thought pattern, or a klishta vritti. We
      incorrectly come to think that this or that thought pattern is who I
      am.

      THE IMAGE IN THE MIND IS NOT NEUTRAL: Imagine some thought that it is
      not colored by I-ness. Such an un-colored thought would have no
      ability to distract your mind during meditation, nor to control your
      actions. Actually, there are many such neutral thought patterns. For
      example, we encounter many people in daily life whom we may recognize,
      but have never met, and for whom their memory in our mind is neither
      colored with attraction nor aversion. It simply means that the image
      of those people is stored in the mind, but that it is neutral, not
      colored.

      UNCOLORING YOUR THOUGHTS: Imagine how nice it would be if you could
      regulate this coloring process itself. Then, if there were an
      attraction or aversion, we could un-color it, internally, so as to be
      free from its control (or attenuate it). This is done as a part of the
      process of meditation. It not only has benefits in our relationship
      with the world, but also purifies the mind so as to experience deeper
      meditation.

      I-NESS IS NECESSARY FOR OTHERS: In relation to individual thought
      patterns, the coloring of I-ness is necessary for attraction,
      aversion, and fear to have any power. Thus, the I-ness itself is seen
      as a coloring process of the thoughts. The practice is that of
      witnessing this Asmita (I-ness), and how it comes into relation with
      though patterns.

      LIKE THAT FILAMENT CONFUSING ITSELF WITH THE ELECTRICITY: The klesha
      of asmita is like the filament of a light bulb confusing itself with
      electricity. The filament is the finest, most essential part of the
      light bulb, but it still pales in comparison to the electricity that
      is the true source of the light coming out of the bulb. Similarly,
      buddhi, at is finest level is a very superior instrument when compared
      to the other levels of mind, energy, and body. However, even buddhi is
      little compared to the pure consciousness, or shakti, that is the
      driving force behind not only buddhi, but all of the other, grosser
      levels of our being. The coloring, or klesha of asmita (the I-ness)
      thinks that it is the consciousness, forgetting the truth of the
      matter, and that is the mistake that blocks Self-realization. This
      I-ness arises the instant that the wave forgets (avidya) that it is
      also ocean.