A Garland of Questions and Answers

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8 9:44 AM
      ************************
      Swami J's Newsletter
      ************************

      September 8, 2001

      Dear Friends,

      Adi Shankaracharya of the 9th century wrote the Prasna Uttara Malika
      (A Garland of Questions and Answers). Here are a few of the questions
      and answers he wrote:

      What must be avoided?
      Deeds which lead us into greater ignorance of the truth.

      What is the obstacle to spiritual growth?
      Laziness.

      Wherein lies strength?
      In patience.

      What is fearlessness?
      Dispassion, non-attachment.

      What is the most difficult task one has?
      To keep the mind under control.

      What is liberation?
      The destruction of our ignorance.

      Who is bound?
      One who is attached to worldliness.

      Who are our enemies?
      Our sense-organs, when they are uncontrolled.

      Who are our friends?
      Our sense-organs, when they are controlled.

      Who has overcome the world?
      One who has conquered his own mind.

      What are the duties of a spiritual aspirant?
      To keep company with the holy, to renounce all thoughts of
      "me" and "mine", to devote oneself to God.

      What should one strive for?
      To go on learning as long as one lives.

      What ought one to remember?
      The sacred name of the Lord.