Followup on the man sentenced to yoga class

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2004
      Followup on the man sentenced to yoga class (from the newsletter sent
      out a few days ago on the same subject)

      Here is a link to an interview with the judge by CNN:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/01/24/cnna.standley/index.html

      WHY DID THE JUDGE GIVE THIS SENTENCE?
      Following is a small part of the interview:

      WHITFIELD (the CNN interviewer): Have you done this before; have you
      tried this with others? [i.e., have you sentenced anyone to do yoga?]

      STANDLEY (the judge): Never did it before.

      WHITFIELD: And what compelled you to do it this time?

      STANDLEY: I'll tell you what compelled me to do it, simply put, anger
      is a result of a feeling of a loss of control. And more and more I
      start seeing people that feel like they can control others around
      them. And the people that are really into yoga, just being in their
      presence, it is calming. And if it takes effect, I think it will help
      this individual. If not, then he will get revoked and do a year.