Powers of 10

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2001
      *******************************
      Swami J's Newsletter
      *******************************

      May 29, 2001

      Dear Friends,

      Here is a link to a website which gives a fascinating visual perspective to
      space and matter. Below is a description from the website, but you'll have to look at the site itself to appreciate it. It may take a little time to download on your computer. If you have a very slow connection, it will possibly not work so well.

      Notice when you get to the site, you can both zoom "in" and "out" (This comment will make sense when you get there)

      This may seem a little off the topic of meditation, but thought you would find it stimulating and intriguing to your contemplative side. Maybe it will tickle the part which asks questions like "Who am I? Where did I come from? Why am I here? Where am I going?"

      Yours in service,

      Swami J

      Click here for the site:
      http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/

      Title of the Web Page: Powers of Ten

      View the Milky Way at 10 million light years from the Earth. Then move through space towards the Earth in successive orders of magnitude until you reach a tall oak tree just outside the buildings of the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Tallahassee, Florida. After that, begin to move from the actual size of a leaf into a microscopic world that reveals leaf cell walls, the cell
      nucleus, chromatin, DNA and finally, into the subatomic universe of electrons and protons.

      Once the applet has completely downloaded, a set of the arrows will appear that allow the user to increase or decrease the view magnitude in Manual mode. Click on the Auto button to return to the Automatic mode.

      http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/