India and cows

  • Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati <swamijb@yahoo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2003

      Following is a news release from the Associated Press of Asia, dated
      January 6, 2003 relating to the slaughter of cows in India. I am not
      intending to take sides in this, but thought you might enjoy seeing
      the perspective of the degree to which we have choices in practicing
      the yogic principle of ahimsa, non-violence.

      As a matter of interest, the state of Uttar Pradesh is in the
      northeast of India, near the Himalayas. Until the recent (2000)
      division of Uttar Pradesh into two states, it included Rishikesh and
      the main pilgramage sites in the high Himalayas, bordering on Tibet
      and China (those are now part of Uttaranchal state).

      In loving service,

      Swami Jnaneshvara

      LUCKNOW, India - India's most populous state, Uttar Pradesh, on
      Monday banned the slaughter of cows.

      India's Hindu majority reveres cows, but beef is served in
      restaurants and hotels in big cities. A few of India's 29 states have
      previously banned cow slaughter, prompting traders to carry cattle
      across state lines to slaughter houses.

      Under the ban, anyone found slaughtering cows in Uttar Pradesh can be
      jailed for up to seven years and fined $290, said Ratan Kumar
      Srivastava of the state Commission to Help Cows.

      Uttar Pradesh, which now has some 180 million residents, enacted a
      law in 1955 banning most cattle slaughter, but allowed older cows and
      defective calves to be killed, Srivastava said.

      On Monday, officials raided slaughter houses across the state and
      prevented 1,164 cows from being killed, Srivastava said.

      Hindu hard-liners have been campaigning for a national ban on cow
      slaughter in India, a nation of more than 1 billion people.