Meditation and inner focus of attention

  • Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati <swamijb@yahoo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2003
      In meditation, we try to let go of all the many mental distractions,
      preoccupations, and the fleeting thoughts and associations of our
      normal waking experience.

      We do this, not by trying to make the mind empty, which is
      impossible, but instead, by allowing the mind to focus on one subtle
      element or object, which leads the attention further inward.

      By giving the mind one internal focus of attention, we help the mind
      to cease its other stressful mental processes, such as worry,
      planning, thinking, and reasoning.

      Swami Rama
      Meditation and Its Practice