Healthy and unhealthy desires

  • Swami Jnaneshvara
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22 11:07 AM
      When one learns to analyze his desires, he comes to understand which
      desires are helpful for him. Desires can be chosen by understanding
      how they arise and function and what their consequences are.

      The faculty of discrimination helps us to judge which desires yield
      results that are helpful, and which do not.

      Those desires that create obstacles should be shunned, but the
      desires that are helpful should always be strengthened. Such helpful
      desires should be brought into action.

      Control of unhealthy desires is not repression or suppression.
      Control means that we have realized that a desire is not healthy and
      that we are gathering together all our energies and directing those
      energies toward one healthy goal. But in repression and suppression
      we suffer because of stress and we are still victims of those
      desires.

      Swami Rama
      Choosing a Path