Preparation, determination, and attention

  • swamijb
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2002
      ************************
      Swami J's Newsletter
      ************************

      May 8, 2002

      Dear Friends,

      Preparation for meditation is more important than meditation.

      In preparing yourself for meditation the first thing you should do is
      to build your determination. Decide with firm conviction and full
      strength, "I will do it. Today I have to meditate. At such and such
      time I will meditate, no matter what happens." Prayer is another way
      to build determination: "Oh Lord, help me attain the goal I have set.
      Help me attain meditation."

      The first step is to give full attention to whatever you do from
      morning `til evening. Learn to train your attention.
      Attention is not possible without interest. If you do not create
      interest in the duties you are performing or in the meditation that
      you are doing, mere repetition is not going to help you.

      You train attention by paying attention. The more you pay attention,
      the more you become aware. This will strengthen your mind and will
      slowly make your mind one-pointed and inwards. Then you will not have
      to fight ant struggle for meditation.*

      * Swami Rama, Himalayan Institute Hospital 2002 Calendar
      http://hihtindia.org