Who is it that operates the senses and mind?

  • swamijb
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2002
      ************************
      Swami J's Newsletter
      ************************

      March 29, 2002

      Dear Friends,

      From the Kena Upanishad:

      The seeker asks, "What has called my mind to think, to long? What has
      made life to be in this body? Who makes this tongue speak? Who is
      that Being who has opened my eyes to forms, and my ears to sounds?"

      The teacher answered, "It is the Self that lives in all that lives,
      hears through the ears, thinks through the mind, speaks through the
      tongue, and sees through the eyes. The wise seeker clings neither to
      this nor to that, and rises above the false identity with senses and
      mind, coming to know that which is already immortal.

      "Eyes and tongue cannot approach that Self, nor can mind grasp it.
      Not knowing that Self by mind, then such questions cannot be
      satisfied. It lies beyond the known, and beyond the unknown. So have
      spoken the wise ones.

      "That which cannot be expressed with the tongue, yet needs no tongue
      to explain, that is the Self. It is not that which people worship.

      "That by which the mind thinks, but which is not comprehended by the
      mind, is the Self. It is not that which people worship.

      "That by which the eye sees, but which is not seen with the eye, is
      the Self. It is not that which people worship.

      "That by which the ears hear, but which is not heard with the ears,
      is the Self. It is not that which people worship.

      "That by which the breath is drawn, but which is drawn with the
      breath, is the Self. It is not that which people worship."

      Seven Skills for Meditation:
      http://swamij.com/sevenskills.htm