745Activities update: December 28, 2009

    Dec 28, 2009
      Local activities, online meetings, retreats, other programs

      Our community of meditation and contemplation is devoted to training and nurturing those who deeply long for the direct experience of union with the eternal, pure center of consciousness, the bliss of being that is one with the absolute reality, as the wave who seeks to remember it is one with the ocean. One word for that union is "Yoga." The word "Abhyasa" means "practices." Abhyasa is purposefully choosing to do that which leads to "sthitau," which is a stable, steady, undisturbed inner calmness or tranquility. Abhyasa is one of the twin foundations of Yoga, along with Vairagya, the mental stance of non-attachment (Yoga Sutras 1.12-1.16). The root of the word Ashram is "shrama," which means "effort" or "striving." The hermitage or home of a swami or other person serving people in their efforts towards inner peace and spiritual awakening is called an Ashram. Thus, our community of meditation, contemplation and learning is known as Abhyasa Ashram. More than any physical location, it is really a place of the heart, an inner sanctuary of silence.

      LOCAL ACTIVITIES
      Daily Silent Meditation (30 minutes): 11:30am and 6:00pm
      DEC 30 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      DEC 31, THU, 7:OOpm: Mantra Mela
      JAN 1, FRI, 7:00pm: First Friday gathering
      JAN 4, MON, 4:00pm: Book Club, Bhagavad Gita
      JAN 6, WED, 12:00pm: Curriculum review gathering
      JAN 7, THU, 7:00pm: Videos of Swami Rama lectures
      Calendar: http://www.swamij.com/calendar.htm

      February in Florida:
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/feb-in-florida.htm

      ONLINE MEETINGS
      Regular online meetings, reviewing articles from SwamiJ.com and other sources, along with Q&A on general topics
      Schedule and details: http://www.swamij.com/meetings.htm
      Usually several times per week unless I am traveling and have no internet access

      Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 9:00pm CST (US), Open Discussion
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/721290683

      Friday, January 1, 10:00pm CST (US), Open Discussion
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/565047659

      Saturday, January 2, 8:30am CST (US), Open Discussion
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/516106227

      Saturday, January 2, 10:00pm CST (US)
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/565047659

      Sunday, January 3, 9:00pm CST (US)
      Perennial Psychology of the Bhagavad Gita (Ongoing discussion)
      Online copy is here:
      http://books.google.com/books?id=UVTfbBezcfcC&pg=PP1&dq=perennial+psychology+of+the+bhagavad+gita#v=onepage&q=&f=false
      Meeting Link:
      https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/721290683

      RETREATS IN INDIA:
      March 8 - 28, 2010
      November 15 - December 5, 2010
      http://www.swamij.com/calendar/rishikesh-retreat.htm

      CENTER FOR NONDUALISM
      A Community for Non-Dual Religion, Yoga, and Philosophy
      Providing a "Sunday Alternative"
      Every Sunday at: Brooks Beal Center
      100 Beal Parkway NW
      Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32547
      9:30-10:30 am: Interactive Program
      10:30-11:00 am: Fellowship
      11:00-12:00 am: Main Program; speaker, guided meditation, inspirational reading
      12:00-12:30 pm: Fellowship

      Website:
      http://www.centerfornondualism.org/
      Newsletter:

      Annual Conference and Retreat:
      Transcending Fear, the Greatest Obstacle to Nondual Realization
      February 25-28, 2010

      Swami Jnaneshvara upcoming participation:
      January 3, 9:30: Interactive Program: Satsang and discussion
      January 17, 11:00am: Speaker in main program

      ARTICLES:
      Archery and the Art of Reducing Karma through Yoga
      http://www.swamij.com/archery-karma-yoga.htm
      The ancient sages of Yoga and Vedanta use the metaphor of Archery as a teaching tool for how to work with and reduce karma through the process of Yoga meditation. In Yoga Meditation, Karma is of three kinds: Sanchita, Kriyamana, and Prarabhda, using the metaphor of three kinds of arrows in archery. Karma Yoga is the Yoga that emphasizes doing Yoga while also doing actions in the world, or Meditation in action.

      REFLECTIONS:
      If one day I say I am a Buddhist, the next a Christian,
      the next a Hindu, the next a Jew, the next a Muslim,
      and the next something else, has the "I" actually changed,
      or only the opinions of the mind? Who am I?
      That cannot be answered with a mere opinion of mind.
      It can only be experienced in the stillness and silence
      of direct experience, wherein these divisions evaporate.
      May all humans one day see that
      we all are of the same one source.

      PODCASTS:
      Archive of audio podcasts: