559Remaining Free, Detached

    Aug 10, 2007
      From Merging with Shiva
      by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

      REMAINING FREE, DETACHED

      As we move through the mind, the mind stays the same, just as the
      world stays the same as the traveler moves from city to city. Paris
      does not vanish when he enters New Delhi. It is still there. Others
      remain in the city, and he can return. Fear does not disappear from
      the mind when we are blissfully fearless. Others still experience it.
      Our awareness has simply moved to a more refined area. Therefore, the
      goal is to make awareness totally free by not getting too
      magnetically attached to only a few of the many areas. If the
      traveler enjoys Paris and settles down there, he will never know the
      other cities of the world. We on the spiritual path must work hard at
      keeping ourselves detached from friends, places, habits. Only then
      can we keep awareness free enough to travel uninhibitedly through the
      sublime, inner areas of the mind.

      Work on that every day. Observe when awareness gets so involved that
      it identifies with an experience. Then consciously tell yourself, "I
      am not fear. I am awareness flowing in the area of fear, and I can
      move into other areas at will." Work at that. Strive for that simple
      ability to detach awareness from that which it is aware of. The
      rewards gained will be more than worth the effort.Be renewed by a
      change of your mind. Be renewed by releasing awareness from one area
      of the vast universe of the mind, drawing it back into its source and
      releasing it again, sending it to another of the vast areas of the
      mind.