106Tricking the mind into being positive and happy

  • swamijb
    Mar 12, 2002
      ************************
      Swami J's Newsletter
      ************************

      March 12, 2002

      Dear Friends,

      We use the trick of developing certain positive thoughts while
      removing negative ones.

      We say to the mind, "All right; if you want to create some thought
      forms, go ahead. But if you create thoughts that will bring you pain,
      you are the one who will suffer. If you are selfish, you will suffer
      later on. I don't want to kill you; I am your friend. I am interested
      in your welfare and peace, so please listen to me: do not create
      thoughts that will rebound on you. Forget your selfishness, make
      others happy, and you will be the happiest person."

      By seeing others happy, you can't be unhappy. But by making everybody
      unhappy, you can never be happy yourself. So, at least for your
      happiness, bring happiness to others.

      If you really want to be selfish, be selfish in the idea of retaining
      your peace. There is not harm in that selfishness because by that you
      are not going to harm anybody. Instead, you will be bringing the same
      peace to others also.

      If the mind says, "I can't be selfless; I must be selfish," tell
      it, "All right. Go to the other extreme and be selfish in refusing to
      disturb your own peace."*

      *Swami Satchidananda of Yogaville, Yoga Sutras commentary

      Activities: